• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marvster
    replied
    Re: Great article about Creating an Account at checkout

Originally posted by chucklasker View Post
    The article can't pop up every few months too many times, Marv - it was only published 4 months ago.
    Sorry, I meant it's come up several times in the past few months. :-) We've been having this debate at my company. It's certainly worth testing, and as you point out every audience and market is different.

I can't share internal data, but we have several stores that require accounts and they've been growing like gangbusters -- fair to point out that perhaps they could grow even more if we didn't require an account.

Since we do a ton of ESD business the account creation is directly tied to making it easy for customers who want to come back later and re-download their product, get other entitlements, or manage their profile.

This helps mitigate calls, which can be just as expensive as lost sales. So it's an even more interesting question when you add the dimension of total cost of sale (including post-sale support) instead of focusing solely on conversion.

Brand loyalty also seems to enter into it. I've discussed this with people who are dead set against required accounts, but when I point out Apple requires an account they say they don't mind because they "like" Apple.

Cheers,

Marv

Leave a comment:

• chucklasker-BANNNED
    replied

Good question. I don't know. The article can't pop up every few months too many times, Marv - it was only published 4 months ago.

It doesn't look like Jared Spool is the type of guy who would lie to make a point, though:

http://www.uie.com/about/consultants/

You can email him at [email protected] and ask - I'd love to know who the retailer was, too.
    To me, it's enough to make it worth A/B testing - seeing conversion rates when requiring and not requiring an account. Every site audience is different, so nothing is across-the-board true on the Internet.

Leave a comment:

• chucklasker-BANNNED
    replied

Good question. I don't know. The article can't pop up every few months too many times, Marv - it was only published 4 months ago.

It doesn't look like Jared Spool is the type of guy who would lie to make a point, though:

http://www.uie.com/about/consultants/

You can email him at [email protected] and ask - I'd love to know who the retailer was, too.

Leave a comment:

• marvster
    replied

While the "require vs. optional account" question is a completely worthy debate, I see this article pop up every few months and have grown fairly suspicious of its credibility.

Does anyone know which "$25 billion retailer" (that's billion with a B) retailer the author was consulting for? Not to put too fine a point on it, but that's bigger than Amazon, though not nearly as big as Best Buy.

I only bring it up because folks who argue against required account creation often use this article as the backbone of their argument, and I'd love to know if it's legit.

Marv

Leave a comment:

• Red Flare
    replied

Under the tutorial is a link that says, "Right click and save for code referenced in tutorial." The code is attached there. But here it is, too:

Code:
    <table border="1" align="center" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#000000">
      <tr>
        <td><FORM METHOD = "post" ACTION = "&mvt:global:secure_sessionurl;">
    <INPUT TYPE = "hidden" NAME = "Action" VALUE = "ICST">
    <INPUT TYPE = "hidden" NAME = "Screen" VALUE = "ACNT">
    <INPUT TYPE = "hidden" NAME = "Store_Code" VALUE = "MT"> <!-- PUT YOUR STORE CODE HERE  --> 
    <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipFirstName" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_fname;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipLastName" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_lname;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipEmail" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_email;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipPhone" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_phone;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipFax" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_fax;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipCompany" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_comp;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipAddress" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_addr;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipCity" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_city;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipStateSelect" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_state;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipState" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_state;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipZip" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_zip;" size="25">
       <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipCountry" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_cntry;" size="25">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" align="center">
     <tr>
       <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="middle"><strong>Create an Account to Make Checking Out Easier Next Time!</strong></td>
       </tr>
     <tr>
      <td align="right" valign="middle">
       <B>Create Login Name</B>  </td>
      <td align="left" valign="middle"><input type="text" name="Customer_Login" VALUE="&mvte:global:Customer_Login;" size="25"> </td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
       <B>Create Password</B></td>
      <td align="left" valign="middle"><input type="password" name="Customer_Password" VALUE="&mvte:global:Customer_Password;" size="25"> </td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
       <B>Confirm Password</B>  </td>
      <td align="left" valign="middle"><input type="password" name="Customer_VerifyPassword" VALUE="&mvte:global:Customer_VerifyPassword;" size="25"> </td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
        <B>Your Email</B> </td>
      <td align="left" valign="middle"><input type="text" name="Customer_PasswordEmail" VALUE="&mvte:global:Customer_PasswordEmail;" size="25"> </td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
       <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="middle">   
    <input type="image" value="Create Account" src="graphics/00000001/createaccountbutton.gif" alt="Create Account"></td>
       </tr>
    </table>
    </form>
    </td>
      </tr>
    </table>
    Keep in mind this is basic code- kind of ugly. David Lasker at Lasker Consulting developed this and when he implements it he has the Invoice only show a button that says "Create an Account," that, when clicked, expands out to show this form. Makes it less obtrusive and adds interest.
    Hi Chuck,

So I pasted the code as directed above and I tested it. It will display the create and account form on the INVC page even if a person already has an account and checked out while logged in.

Is there some If then statement that is missing?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• chucklasker-BANNNED
    replied

Originally posted by Gamelord View Post
    Ok, how would one go about doing this? :) This gets into areas that I have not yet ventured.
    I'm afraid that is advanced enough that you'd either have to figure it out or hire someone to do it. You can submit a request for quotes at the Work for Hire forum:

http://extranet.mivamerchant.com/for...splay.php?f=55

Leave a comment:

• Pamela Hazelton
    replied

Ok, how would one go about doing this? :) This gets into areas that I have not yet ventured.
    It's beyond something that's documented.

Leave a comment:

• Gamelord
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pamela Hazelton
    replied

Is there a way to create an account for every sale? What I would like to do is create an extra field in the customer data (maybe change the company info to Password) with a shadow text that says "optional". Then when the customer enters in a password it automatically creates an account for them using their e-mail addy. If they leave it blank then it just processes the order without an account. That way you are not asking the customer to create an account at all, it does it by itself but they can still log into their account later if they wish to do so if they entered in a password the last time or they can create an account using the supplied links.

Just a thought...any ideas?
    Yes, and it requires custom coding. It can also be very useful, but I do recommend accounts not be created on the fly. While that seems like a no-brainer, some shoppers don't like auto creation of accounts.

Per your example, it should always be optional.

Leave a comment:

• Gamelord
    replied

Is there a way to create an account for every sale? What I would like to do is create an extra field in the customer data (maybe change the company info to Password) with a shadow text that says "optional". Then when the customer enters in a password it automatically creates an account for them using their e-mail addy. If they leave it blank then it just processes the order without an account. That way you are not asking the customer to create an account at all, it does it by itself but they can still log into their account later if they wish to do so if they entered in a password the last time or they can create an account using the supplied links.

Just a thought...any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• chucklasker-BANNNED
    replied

Originally posted by DesignExtend-MSI View Post
    This is all dependent on the site, what it sells and the target audience. There are sites that also greatly benefit by putting a link to create an account during checkout, especially if additional offers are a result. There's no one way to do this.
    Good points, Pamela. Yes, it all depends on your customers, the type of site, what benefits you offer to create an account.... Also, good point on the phone number.

It's true putting the "Create an Account" on the Invoice screen reduces accounts considerably. The question is, does it increase conversions? From what I've seen, it does. So, do you want conversions or accounts?
    Last edited by chucklasker-BANNNED; 02-03-09, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chucklasker-BANNNED
    replied

Originally posted by Kent Multer View Post
    Excuse the shameless plug, but since you mentioned letting people log in with their email address, instead of having to use a login name, there is a simple solution:

http://www.vikingcoders.com/store/me...de=MAGIC_LOGIN for MM4

http://www.vikingcoders.com/store/me...e=MAGIC_LOGIN5 for MM5

This was just announced recently, and is on sale for just $20 until Feb. 10.
    Thanks, Kent. Nothing shameless about providing effective solutions! Those are great modules at a great price. What's the regular price going to be?

The two factors that are so important for existing stores are:
    • Customers can log in to their accounts by using either their email address or login name.
    • Existing customers who are used to logging in with a username can continue to do so.

You did your homework on that one. I'm going to recommend it. If you send me the MM5.5 version with a license key, I'll do a tutorial on it for the Advanced subscription. All module tutorials include a link to purchase the module.

Leave a comment:

• Pamela Hazelton
    replied

My point is just that the decision to create an account is what causes the mental delay in completing the order. People have to think through a series of questions: Does it save my CC number? What should I make my user name? What should I use for my password that I'll remember? To me, the cost is too high compared to the benefit.
    This is all dependent on the site, what it sells and the target audience. There are sites that also greatly benefit by putting a link to create an account during checkout, especially if additional offers are a result. There's no one way to do this.

From the sites I've worked on, moving the account creation to INVC resulted in significantly less accounts. Having a checkbox or link during the checkout process to create the account adds but two fields: Login and password.

I think the key is, in 2009, people are so Web-savvy, they can type in their address info super-fast, or even use autofill, so it's not such a big deal anymore. I also believe the minimal information should be asked for - like not requiring a company or fax or even phone unless truly necessary. Just get their money, you know?
    There are plenty of users who don't use autofill for security reasons. I have yet to encounter any B2C online store that requires Company.

You should always require a phone, for a few reasons: 1. If you have to reach the customer on a sensitive issue; 2. To help prevent fraud. Aside from CVV and AVS, the phone number entered is the next step in helping to determine legitimacy of an order.

Leave a comment:

• Kent Multer
    replied

Excuse the shameless plug, but since you mentioned letting people log in with their email address, instead of having to use a login name, there is a simple solution:

http://www.vikingcoders.com/store/me...de=MAGIC_LOGIN for MM4

http://www.vikingcoders.com/store/me...e=MAGIC_LOGIN5 for MM5

This was just announced recently, and is on sale for just $20 until Feb. 10.

Leave a comment:

• chucklasker-BANNNED
    replied

Originally posted by Kent Multer View Post
    I wonder if the Invoice is really the best place for this; some folks don't hang around after their order is complete. I would think that it'd be better placed at the bottom of the Customer Information page, so people see it right after they enter their info.
    My point is just that the decision to create an account is what causes the mental delay in completing the order. People have to think through a series of questions: Does it save my CC number? What should I make my user name? What should I use for my password that I'll remember? To me, the cost is too high compared to the benefit. And as you mention, as often as not they forget their login info next time. I know I forget mine most of the time at sites I create accounts in. Some stores won't let me order without it, even not letting me create a new account because my email is already in use - insanity.

One way I can see it being a simpler decision is to simply add a password field on the Customer Information page and use the email address as the login name - don't even ask. But I would only do this if there was a reason to have accounts, like Price Groups or frequent-buyer benefits.

I think the key is, in 2009, people are so Web-savvy, they can type in their address info super-fast, or even use autofill, so it's not such a big deal anymore. I also believe the minimal information should be asked for - like not requiring a company or fax or even phone unless truly necessary. Just get their money, you know?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X