Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great article about Creating an Account at checkout

My latest blog post, The $300 Million Button:

By default, Miva Merchant checkout has “Create New Account,” “Place Order Without Account,” and “Login to Existing Account” options. Users have been debating the best options to offer for a decade. I have had the opinion that asking a customer if they want to create an account during the checkout process is a high-level decision that distracts them from doing what you want, which is to give you money. Unless you are using Price Groups, Availability Groups, or membership benefits, I suggest simply eliminating the entire account functionality and let people enter their address each time they check out. It’s really not that difficult.

At last, my view has been vindicated with this excellent study, followed by a couple free tutorials about how to make changes in your Miva Merchant 5.5 store:

How Changing a Button Increased a Site’s Annual Revenues by $300 Million

It’s hard to imagine a form that could be simpler: two fields, two buttons, and one link. Yet, it turns out this form was preventing customers from purchasing products from a major e-commerce site, to the tune of $300,000,000 a year. What was even worse: the designers of the site had no clue there was even a problem.

Article Continued: http://www.uie.com/articles/three_hund_million_button

To remove the Account options completely, view this tutorial.

To move the Create an Account option to the Invoice page, view this tutorial (with code).

Re: Great article about Creating an Account at checkout

We've implemented this on a good many sites and it's proven to work quite well so far.
    Best,
    Pamela

Consultant / Developer / Trainer
    Contributing Editor to Practical Ecommerce
    Author of the Official Guides for Miva Merchant
    pamelahazelton.com

Comment

We've implemented this on a good many sites and it's proven to work quite well so far.
      Implemented which, Pam: removed the create-account feature, or moved it later in the process?

I wonder if the Invoice is really the best place for this; some folks don't hang around after their order is complete. I would think that it'd be better placed at the bottom of the Customer Information page, so people see it right after they enter their info.

In developing my Login Magic module, I found that it seems to be common for as many as 10% of the customer accounts in a store to have duplicate lost-password email addresses. Most of those must be from infrequent customers who created an account, and forgot about it when they came back; or they were unable to access it because they couldn't remember the login name or email address.

Thanks for the article, Chuck!
      Kent Multer
      Magic Metal Productions
      http://TheMagicM.com
      * Web developer/designer
      * E-commerce and Miva
      * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

So I tried to implement the create account on Invoice, but I did not see the code you put on INVC page. In the video it was only a brief glimpse that you copied from a text file. Is that textfile elsewhere?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Multer View Post
          Implemented which, Pam: removed the create-account feature, or moved it later in the process?
          Some sites have it on INVC, others during the actual single page as an option.
          Best,
          Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

Originally posted by Red Flare View Post
            So I tried to implement the create account on Invoice, but I did not see the code you put on INVC page. In the video it was only a brief glimpse that you copied from a text file. Is that textfile elsewhere?

Thanks!
            Under the tutorial is a link that says, "Right click and save for code referenced in tutorial." The code is attached there. But here it is, too:

Code:
            <table border="1" align="center" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0" bordercolor="#000000">
              <tr>
                <td><FORM METHOD = "post" ACTION = "&mvt:global:secure_sessionurl;">
            <INPUT TYPE = "hidden" NAME = "Action" VALUE = "ICST">
            <INPUT TYPE = "hidden" NAME = "Screen" VALUE = "ACNT">
            <INPUT TYPE = "hidden" NAME = "Store_Code" VALUE = "MT"> <!-- PUT YOUR STORE CODE HERE  --> 
            <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipFirstName" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_fname;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipLastName" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_lname;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipEmail" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_email;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipPhone" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_phone;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipFax" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_fax;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipCompany" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_comp;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipAddress" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_addr;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipCity" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_city;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipStateSelect" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_state;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipState" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_state;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipZip" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_zip;" size="25">
               <input type="hidden" name="Customer_ShipCountry" VALUE="&mvte:order:ship_cntry;" size="25">
            <table border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" align="center">
             <tr>
               <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="middle"><strong>Create an Account to Make Checking Out Easier Next Time!</strong></td>
               </tr>
             <tr>
              <td align="right" valign="middle">
               <B>Create Login Name</B>  </td>
              <td align="left" valign="middle"><input type="text" name="Customer_Login" VALUE="&mvte:global:Customer_Login;" size="25"> </td>
             </tr>
             <tr>
               <B>Create Password</B></td>
              <td align="left" valign="middle"><input type="password" name="Customer_Password" VALUE="&mvte:global:Customer_Password;" size="25"> </td>
             </tr>
             <tr>
               <B>Confirm Password</B>  </td>
              <td align="left" valign="middle"><input type="password" name="Customer_VerifyPassword" VALUE="&mvte:global:Customer_VerifyPassword;" size="25"> </td>
             </tr>
             <tr>
                <B>Your Email</B> </td>
              <td align="left" valign="middle"><input type="text" name="Customer_PasswordEmail" VALUE="&mvte:global:Customer_PasswordEmail;" size="25"> </td>
             </tr>
             <tr>
               <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="middle">   
            <input type="image" value="Create Account" src="graphics/00000001/createaccountbutton.gif" alt="Create Account"></td>
               </tr>
            </table>
            </form>
            </td>
              </tr>
            </table>
            Keep in mind this is basic code- kind of ugly. David Lasker at Lasker Consulting developed this and when he implements it he has the Invoice only show a button that says "Create an Account," that, when clicked, expands out to show this form. Makes it less obtrusive and adds interest.

Comment

I wonder if the Invoice is really the best place for this; some folks don't hang around after their order is complete. I would think that it'd be better placed at the bottom of the Customer Information page, so people see it right after they enter their info.
              My point is just that the decision to create an account is what causes the mental delay in completing the order. People have to think through a series of questions: Does it save my CC number? What should I make my user name? What should I use for my password that I'll remember? To me, the cost is too high compared to the benefit. And as you mention, as often as not they forget their login info next time. I know I forget mine most of the time at sites I create accounts in. Some stores won't let me order without it, even not letting me create a new account because my email is already in use - insanity.

One way I can see it being a simpler decision is to simply add a password field on the Customer Information page and use the email address as the login name - don't even ask. But I would only do this if there was a reason to have accounts, like Price Groups or frequent-buyer benefits.

I think the key is, in 2009, people are so Web-savvy, they can type in their address info super-fast, or even use autofill, so it's not such a big deal anymore. I also believe the minimal information should be asked for - like not requiring a company or fax or even phone unless truly necessary. Just get their money, you know?

Comment

Excuse the shameless plug, but since you mentioned letting people log in with their email address, instead of having to use a login name, there is a simple solution:

http://www.vikingcoders.com/store/me...de=MAGIC_LOGIN for MM4

http://www.vikingcoders.com/store/me...e=MAGIC_LOGIN5 for MM5

This was just announced recently, and is on sale for just $20 until Feb. 10.
                Kent Multer
                Magic Metal Productions
                http://TheMagicM.com
                * Web developer/designer
                * E-commerce and Miva
                * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Originally posted by chucklasker View Post
                  My point is just that the decision to create an account is what causes the mental delay in completing the order. People have to think through a series of questions: Does it save my CC number? What should I make my user name? What should I use for my password that I'll remember? To me, the cost is too high compared to the benefit.
                  This is all dependent on the site, what it sells and the target audience. There are sites that also greatly benefit by putting a link to create an account during checkout, especially if additional offers are a result. There's no one way to do this.

From the sites I've worked on, moving the account creation to INVC resulted in significantly less accounts. Having a checkbox or link during the checkout process to create the account adds but two fields: Login and password.

Originally posted by chucklasker View Post
                  I think the key is, in 2009, people are so Web-savvy, they can type in their address info super-fast, or even use autofill, so it's not such a big deal anymore. I also believe the minimal information should be asked for - like not requiring a company or fax or even phone unless truly necessary. Just get their money, you know?
                  There are plenty of users who don't use autofill for security reasons. I have yet to encounter any B2C online store that requires Company.

You should always require a phone, for a few reasons: 1. If you have to reach the customer on a sensitive issue; 2. To help prevent fraud. Aside from CVV and AVS, the phone number entered is the next step in helping to determine legitimacy of an order.
                  Best,
                  Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

Excuse the shameless plug, but since you mentioned letting people log in with their email address, instead of having to use a login name, there is a simple solution:

http://www.vikingcoders.com/store/me...de=MAGIC_LOGIN for MM4

http://www.vikingcoders.com/store/me...e=MAGIC_LOGIN5 for MM5

This was just announced recently, and is on sale for just $20 until Feb. 10.
                    Thanks, Kent. Nothing shameless about providing effective solutions! Those are great modules at a great price. What's the regular price going to be?

The two factors that are so important for existing stores are:
                    • Customers can log in to their accounts by using either their email address or login name.
                    • Existing customers who are used to logging in with a username can continue to do so.

You did your homework on that one. I'm going to recommend it. If you send me the MM5.5 version with a license key, I'll do a tutorial on it for the Advanced subscription. All module tutorials include a link to purchase the module.

Comment

Originally posted by DesignExtend-MSI View Post
                      This is all dependent on the site, what it sells and the target audience. There are sites that also greatly benefit by putting a link to create an account during checkout, especially if additional offers are a result. There's no one way to do this.
                      Good points, Pamela. Yes, it all depends on your customers, the type of site, what benefits you offer to create an account.... Also, good point on the phone number.

It's true putting the "Create an Account" on the Invoice screen reduces accounts considerably. The question is, does it increase conversions? From what I've seen, it does. So, do you want conversions or accounts?
                      Last edited by chucklasker-BANNNED; 02-03-09, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Is there a way to create an account for every sale? What I would like to do is create an extra field in the customer data (maybe change the company info to Password) with a shadow text that says "optional". Then when the customer enters in a password it automatically creates an account for them using their e-mail addy. If they leave it blank then it just processes the order without an account. That way you are not asking the customer to create an account at all, it does it by itself but they can still log into their account later if they wish to do so if they entered in a password the last time or they can create an account using the supplied links.

Just a thought...any ideas?
                        Kent
                        www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gamelord View Post
                          Is there a way to create an account for every sale? What I would like to do is create an extra field in the customer data (maybe change the company info to Password) with a shadow text that says "optional". Then when the customer enters in a password it automatically creates an account for them using their e-mail addy. If they leave it blank then it just processes the order without an account. That way you are not asking the customer to create an account at all, it does it by itself but they can still log into their account later if they wish to do so if they entered in a password the last time or they can create an account using the supplied links.

Just a thought...any ideas?
                          Yes, and it requires custom coding. It can also be very useful, but I do recommend accounts not be created on the fly. While that seems like a no-brainer, some shoppers don't like auto creation of accounts.

Per your example, it should always be optional.
                          Best,
                          Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

Ok, how would one go about doing this? :) This gets into areas that I have not yet ventured.
                            Kent
                            www.awindofchange.com

~~Once you take flight your eyes will forever be turned skyward~~

Comment

Originally posted by Gamelord View Post
                              Ok, how would one go about doing this? :) This gets into areas that I have not yet ventured.
                              It's beyond something that's documented.
                              Best,
                              Pamela

pamelahazelton.com

Comment

Working...
                              X