Great article about Creating an Account at checkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Great article about Creating an Account at checkout

I've covered this is other threads but as this one is a major discussion, I'll cover it here too.

Like Chuck, I have always believed that "asking a customer if they want to create an account during the checkout process is a high-level decision that distracts them from doing what you want, which is to give you money".

In stores I have built for the past 3 years, whether Miva Merchant or not, all new customers create an account. I just don't tell them they are creating an account. The only choice a customer is given is either to login to an existing account or new customers "checkout". Furthermore, I have never done A/B testing but I know for sure that this method works 100%. I am not saying don't do A/B testing but you might try the method below first or in conjunction with A/B testing.

How do I know? Because the invoice numbers on the completed orders are close to continuous i.e. once getting to the OINF "page", very few people bail out in the checkout process. In addition, my clients follow up/contact every person who bails out but who has logged in/created an account and these represent about three quarters of the "missing" invoice numbers. (in case you are wondering, the major reason given for bailing at this point was running out of time somehow - e.g. wife called customer to dinner, customer remembered he/she had to pick up the kids from somewhere, customer decided to probably add something to order but wanted to research the additional product first and so on)

In addition, you can use Google analytics or Urchin 5 or similar, to see how many people actually bail at the LOGN page (where OINF puts them if they haven't logged in before starting the checkout process).

We have never had a single complaint, in any store using this method.

Whatever method you decide to use, in my experience it is a very bad idea to ask a prospective customer, when they have decided to buy and "have their goods in their hands", to make a high level decision as to whether they want to create an account or not. Asking them to complete a questionnaire during the checkout process is a similar distraction and I never allow my clients to do it. Once they have decided to buy, I make it as easy and simple as possible for them to give my client their money.

My 2 cents.

Comment

Very interesting, Pete.

When you have people check out, how do you have their account created? They need to create a user name and password, and give a lost password email address. Do you simply make them do that, or do you have a trick?

Comment

Those fields are part of the form they need to complete to checkout. It is pretty much the standard form.

No-one yet has ever questioned it. :)

A very small % of people open multiple accounts but when we investigate it is mostly because they forgot all of the email address they used, their login name and their password. These also tend to be people who delete the order confirmation email from their mail server and from their computer and never print a copy of the order confirmation (despite it containing a coupon for a discount on their next order). I never cease to be amazed by the actions of some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete McNamara View Post
          Those fields are part of the form they need to complete to checkout. It is pretty much the standard form.

No-one yet has ever questioned it. :)

A very small % of people open multiple accounts but when we investigate it is mostly because they forgot all of the email address they used, their login name and their password. These also tend to be people who delete the order confirmation email from their mail server and from their computer and never print a copy of the order confirmation (despite it containing a coupon for a discount on their next order). I never cease to be amazed by the actions of some people.
          Very interesting Pete. We recently revised out checkout page for our websites to address issues raised by Chuck.

In our last revision, this is the language that we implemented on the OINF screen for the "New Customer" option:

New customer proceed to store checkout without creating an account. Once order has been completed, you will have the option of saving your order shipping/billing address only for future customized shopping experience, and express checkout when returning to our store.

Note: We do not retain your; credit card number, expiration date, and/or security card code information.

New customer proceed to store checkout without an account now.

Pete, now I am think it may not even be a good idea to even mention at the beginning, that they can later create an account if they choose to do so. There is really no need to mention it at the beginning.

Here is the language we are using once the order has been completed INVC screen:

Register now and benefit from customized shopping experience, and express checkouts when returning to our store by saving your shipping/billing address only (we do not retain your credit card number, expiration date and/or security code information).

Create Sign-In ID:
          Create Password:
          Confirm Password:
          Your Email:
          [Submit]

Any thoughts Pete, and Chuck?
          Last edited by William Davis; 09-28-09, 08:05 AM.
          Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

I never mention the word "account" anywhere, other than in the topnav (link also repeated under the cattree). Customers just "checkout". The only "choice" presented is that "Previous customers" can "save time and effort" by "logging in".

No new customer has to make a decision - there is only one way to checkout. Previous customers are given the option to login but if they don't they just "checkout" too (and thus create another account). A handful of customers create more than one account but the vast majority "get it".

No words are used which can create concerns in the customer's mind such as "register", "account", "security", "retention of credit card information" etc. etc. is used in the checkout process.

I do have extensive notes about security of transactions in either an FAQ section or more likely as a special security page (in Miva I create an additional page template just for security content). This security page is linked to from the BASK and OCST pages as well as numerous other places throughout the store, including the left nav. So, if someone is concerned about security they have all the information they need.

But, OTOH, if a customer has "their goods in their hands" and are focused on checking out, we have no words or systems in the checkout which cause them to have second thoughts. None.
            Last edited by Pete McNamara; 09-28-09, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete McNamara View Post
              I never mention the word "account" anywhere, other than in the topnav (link also repeated under the cattree). Customers just "checkout". The only "choice" presented is that "Previous customers" can "save time and effort" by "logging in".

No new customer has to make a decision - there is only one way to checkout. Previous customers are given the option to login but if they don't they just "checkout" too (and thus create another account). A handful of customers create more than one account but the vast majority "get it".

No words are used which can create concerns in the customer's mind such as "register", "account", "security", "retention of credit card information" etc. etc. is used in the checkout process.

I do have extensive notes about security of transactions in either an FAQ section or more likely as a special security page (in Miva I create an additional page template just for security content). This security page is linked to from the BASK and OCST pages as well as numerous other places throughout the store, including the left nav. So, if someone is concerned about security they have all the information they need.

But, OTOH, if a customer has "their goods in their hands" and are focused on checking out, we have no words or systems in the checkout which cause them to have second thoughts. None.
              Excellent points...
              Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Working...
              X