The Google Dance Goes On...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Google Dance Goes On...

Yesterday Google announced Caffeine, a major change in the algorithms used to crawl, index and search. The announcement itself is unusual and what makes it even more striking is they have provided a sandbox for SEO professionals to test and comment on.

http://www2.sandbox.google.com/

From what I've gleaned on Matt Cutt's blog and other sources, the biggest factor for SERPs are new methods for detecting and measuring relevance and PageRank. Of course, the details were not revealed (they never are).

Also of importance to store owners is Google will increase the speed and depth of their crawls and will get the results into the index faster. About time!

Google changes their alogorithms all the time, nothing new about that. But this pre-announcement and sandbox are extremely unusual. I am taking this as a signal that there is going to be a major impact on some sites, and changes in the effect SEO work has on indexing and SERPs.

While Google hasn't mentioned it, I suspect this may be the first trial of personalized search results where relevance is different for each searcher. This may also herald an increase in Google's war on link buying and other non-natural methods for manipulating PageRank.

Whatever the real causes and effects of Caffeine are, there will be winners and losers, probably not on the scale of the Florida Update, but we're sure to get a lot of blogblat about it in the coming months.
    Last edited by Biffy; 08-11-09, 03:37 AM.
    Steve Strickland
    972-227-2065

Re: The Google Dance Goes On...

I took the pre-announcement as a way to fight the publicity Microsoft is getting for bing right now. From the test queries I saw, there wasn't much algorithm change, but the infrastructure is supposed to be all new, to cater more towards real-time results.

Also, personalized search was implemented a while back. I occasionally get different results using "privacy mode" in my browser than I do when I'm logged in.

Comment

Re: The Google Dance Goes On...

I think the update is just business as usual. The announcement itself is probably Bing driven. They don't usually announce these things.

The changes might effect PageRank with irrelevant purchased links the most, sort of a weeding out practices Google doesn't like.

Hopefully the new crawl rates will speed up indexing store updates.
      Steve Strickland
      972-227-2065

Comment

Working...
      X