Need Help about Web Hosts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help about Web Hosts

Can you guys post some of what you look for in regards to hosts?

What are you top three requirements when you look for a Web host and make your final selection?

Thanks!

#1 Knowledge
    #2 Availability (support & servers)
    #3 Customer Service

Comment

For MIVA Merchant sites? When researching and determining who to use, I care about:

1. MIVA Merchant knowledge/understanding.

2. References from other MIVA Merchant site owners.

3. Ugly web site (I guess this must be true, because the two hosts I recommend have ugly web sites!!) It's like, if you go into a small town and there are two barbers - one has great hair, one has mangled hair. Which one do you go to? The one with mangled hair, because HE cut the other barber's hair.

Comment

Responsive support.
        First host I went with was LOUSY with support. I am surprised they were listed as "premier" hosting partner. It sometimes took me weeks to get a simple question answered.
        Now, all is well.:D

Comment

Tons of web hosts out there with free support, low prices, fast connection, wide feature set.

What separates good from great hosts is ecommerce software knowledge (not just a shopping cart), proactive support (asks what goals does my customer have that I can help them with), and security (is end user and web owner protection of credit card data and other info. job one for them).
          Bill Ellmore
          We help you celebrate Texas!
          http://www.TexasCrazy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Red Flare
            Responsive support.
            First host I went with was LOUSY with support. I am surprised they were listed as "premier" hosting partner. It sometimes took me weeks to get a simple question answered.
            Now, all is well.:D
            MIVA's partner lists have nothing to do with experience, capability, customer satisfaction, etc. They don't evaluate them. It's just how much money they pay to be a partner, a "Premier" host, etc. I could sign up as an OLM reseller and pay to be a "Premier" host, while working from my home 2 hours a day.

Comment

I dont know if they enforce it or not, but technically no you couldnt.

One of the requirements to be a Premier Partner is to own your own equipment - a reseller would not qualify.

Then again, if you're willing to pay the Premier Partner fees....

Originally posted by doubleplus
              MIVA's partner lists have nothing to do with experience, capability, customer satisfaction, etc. They don't evaluate them. It's just how much money they pay to be a partner, a "Premier" host, etc. I could sign up as an OLM reseller and pay to be a "Premier" host, while working from my home 2 hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Vic - WolfPaw Computers
                Then again, if you're willing to pay the Premier Partner fees....
                ... you probably own your servers. The partner fee is a drop in the bucket and in the grand schema of things, that's less than even a small hosting company spends on advertising and customer acquisitions every month.

Comment

Ok, if you all want to discuss this further, that's fine, but please move it to another topic.

Thanks!

Comment

Knowledge - knowing the ins and outs of hosting MIVA products is number 1 in my book. Being able to help me with all the other stuff I "play" is an added plus.

Customer Service - it doesn't have to come in the form of phone support, I had all the telephone support I ever wanted with DataPipe but I only used it when I had to explain to them the proper way to configure my server for MIVA Merchant.

Respect for the little guy (or gal). Many of the clients I work with are small businesses, sometimes just starting out. Who to say that site that's on a shoestring budget just might make a million dollars? You ever hear of bird diapers?
                    Leslie
                    www.lesliekirk.com | Twitter | Facebook
                    Past Web Production Manager for eMediaSales
                    Previously of www.websyourway.com
                    Forum Moderator lesliekirk
                    Miva Merchant and more ... since 1997

Comment

Working...
                    X