Affiliate Advertising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affiliate Advertising

Please share your opinions about affiliate advertising. How effective is affiliate advertising? Would it be better to do it on our own or should we go with an affiliate marketing company (e.g. linkconnector.com)?

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Nick Curtiss
    http://www.crazypc.com

I've been involved with affiliate marketing for 4 years, including attending Affiliate Summits, etc. My opinion is, if you can afford it, go with someone like PartnerCentric.com (ask for Mike Bump) or Kowabunga to manage your affiliate program.

The thing is - IF you can afford it. They're usually in the $3k to $5k range per month.

If you can't afford that, and you want to do it on your own, be very sure you will take the time to properly manage your affiliates. Affiliate marketing isn't just "stick up a banner and get rich" system. True affiliates work very hard as your sale people, and they need to be supported just like regular commissioned sales people. If you aren't willing to do a direct phone line for them, answer their emails within a couple of hours, and provide them with all the graphics, text, press releases, etc. that they need, then I'd say don't do it at all. A truly successful program requires a dedicated affiliate manager on staff if it gets to be more than just a few casual affiliates.

Like any marketing method, you get back what you put into it.

As a side note, I don't think Commission Junction, LinkShare, etc. - the huge companies - are worth it unless you already have an established program making you tens of thousands a month. Maybe Share A Sale, to get your name out there...

Comment

Chuck's idea of thinking of affiliates as salespersons is an accurate analogy. The one think to watch out for (and my major complaint about some affilate schemes) is that affiliate sales can rob you of your direct sales. Just like salespersons, you should look at affiliates as having a "territory". Not necessarily an physical one since we are on the web, but rather a logical one. Look for affiliates that can bring in sales from portions of the web population that would be difficult or costly for you to engage. For example, if part of your target market belong to a professional group and you do not, have an affiliate work that market. For example, a client sells stethoscopes...paramedics go through stethoscopes like latex gloves. Targetting this particular market is hard amoung the general web populace, but having a paramedic professional association do this for you could be a big benefit.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks for your comments. I definitely agree that it has to be "new" market territory - otherwise I will be canabalizing my own direct sales. I'm leaning towards an affiliate marketing company but $2-$3k/month is out of our range. Any recommendations on marketing companies? Linkconnector.com is one I came across that seems affordable. Professional associations are a great idea.
        Regards,
        Nick Curtiss
        http://www.crazypc.com

Comment

I met the people who run http://www.shareresults.com at an affiliate summit and they were very nice. They seem affordable, too.

Comment

Another quick note. I just found out about this conference. I haven't been to one, but it looks pretty sweet if you can afford it.

http://www.andyrodriguez.com/Affilia...-Miami-05.html

Chuck

Comment

An affiliate should be handled with a lot of care if you want to get the best out of your affiliate maketing business.There must be sufficient motivation for the affiliate to ensure the success of your product or service.To hire professional services would be feasible only if you are willing to invest a lot of capital.

Comment

affiliates

surely, affiliates should be given motivation and along with that performance based incentives too. This well give them a boost to perform better. They should constantly be given encouragement and at the same time be firm if they are not performing well.

Comment

Worst case you could run your own program then announce your program in various directories. Many affiliates do seek lesser known companies to promote so they can bring fresh content to viewers and possibly sell more.

There are a slew of free directories out there and you can also be more selective on who you approve.
                  Best,
                  Pamela

Consultant / Developer / Trainer
                  Contributing Editor to Practical Ecommerce
                  Author of the Official Guides for Miva Merchant
                  pamelahazelton.com

Comment

Working...
                  X