Different Search Engine Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different Search Engine Rankings

What variables most impact why our site (or any site) ranks differently on the top three search engines for one of our main product key words?

#4 on MSN, #23 on Yahoo, and #38 on Google

I didn't see any reason to mention the key words as this is a general question for all MIVA marketers. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it my forum search.

Thanks!

Korey
    Korey McWilliams
    Project Director

Re: Different Search Engine Rankings

Hi Korey,
    I am not a search engine expert, but the factors that currently seem to influence search ranking listings the most are reciprocal links (both quality of referrer/referral and quantity), relevant text within your pages, relevant link text and titles for your pages. Meta tags still have some impact, but not as significant as the others I've listed.

You can also try submitting your site to some of the web directories out there, such as dmoz.org. Search engines also pull from those, although the difficulty of getting listed can vary widely by directory.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Dave Slifka; 02-23-07, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Simple,

The search engines work simarly, with google having the toughest algorithm requiring more work to rank higher.

If you want to boost your keyword rank - repeat it alot throughout your web page (Density). THEN get as many inbound only links containing your keyword, by this i mean the linking website MUST contain your keyword also. AND lastly the inbound "link" must also contain your keyword. This is how google figures out your keyword is important.

Best way to do this is write a Blog related to your website. Then post it with a link to your own website. :)

also type your website address into google search to see all websites linking to you. Google may take 6 months to find all websites linking to you.

But dont forget you still may not reach top rank since competition will be all over this aswell. Its tough.
      Miva Built, Ecommerce Store
      Cyrus Persian Rugs - Modern & Traditional Rugs

Comment

Thanks Dave and Cyrus! I hadn't come across those tips before. Very helpful! :)
        Last edited by Korey; 02-26-07, 06:44 AM.
        Korey McWilliams
        Project Director

Comment

I wouldn't say that Google is the harder search engine, they are just different. We are #1-2 in Google (depending on the data center) and #2 in Yahoo for our keyword/phrase, but in MSN/Live.com we are all the way down to #45. For a long time we were further down in Yahoo too, but recently we've climbed back up where we belong :D Different search engines have different algorithms and therefore weight different aspects about your site differently.

Comment

My understanding is that MSN and Yahoo index fewer sites than Google.

Google also places more emphasis on inbound links than either MSN or Yahoo.
            Lee Amon
            Marketing Guy and Web Dude
            Kate's Caring Gifts
            For Green Giving and Green Living

Natural and Organic Body Care
            The world's best Organic Chocolate
            Earth Friendly Shopping Blog
            20% Discount for Miva Forum Subscribers! Use Discount code MIVAFORUM at checkout

Comment

I think it is not that important the search engine ranking. The trick is to do a very good keyword research which helps us to get a better position on internet.
              :)
              Marketing Agency Edinburgh

Comment

Happy to weigh in :)

You may be surprised to learn that each search engine's technologies are patented. Patents are infact open to the public. Simply do a google search on finding the google patent and you will have loads of useful information on how google values your site. Even with this information though, it is very difficult to optimize your site for google - yahoo & msn are much easier...google can also change the values of its algorithms at any time, so you could be #1 one day, and be #100 the next.

I also have found this website to be very helpful: http://www.seochat.com

Hope this helps

Jeff
                American Shipping Centers
                http://www.AmericanShippingCenters.com/

Comment

You can find the google patent here:

http://www.websition.com/articles/58...rithm-Revealed

Comment

I love whatever yahoo did, because now American Shipping Center is on the top 10 for about 6 or7 of our biggest keywords. I was running my search engine ranking checker, and the top hits came from nowhere, which is a very pleasant surprise! Here's the keywords and their rankings we're up there for :)

Our biggest goal is to be #1 for "fulfillment", but we are competing with wikipedia, which will probably never happen, but #2 would be just as awesome!

#5 fulfillment

#2 ebay fulfillment

#9 fulfillment house (we'd really like to be #2 for "fulfillment house" but again we are competing with wikipedia)

#6 fulfillment service

#6 order fulfillment

#5 pick and pack services

#7 product fulfillment

we're getting for a keyword phrase we really need "pick and pack"
                    Currently
                    #41 & #55 pick and pack :(

This is the page we are currently reworking the content on because it should be a lot higher than it is.

If you guys have any questions about this stuff, let me know, and i'm happy to help you with your websites as well :)

We also changed some stuff on our homepage since the last time our website was crawled....hopefully, we didn't give up a good thing being on page #1 for the bulk of our keywords in order to move up a space or two :(
                    Last edited by AmericanShippingCenters; 04-07-07, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Those interested in which factors influence whether a site/page gets top rankings should read this:

http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors

Rand Fishkin surveyed 35 leaders in the area of organic SEO and put together this comprehensive list. I've followed a couple SEO forums for about 3 years and met a couple of these experts in person and I can honestly say these people know the ins and outs of organic search listings and their opinions are highly regarded by the SEO community. ;)
                      Julie Lee
                      Julie's Jewels
                      www.juliesjewels.com

Comment

Obviously, the google, yahoo and msn search engines have different way in ranking, google is based on page rank, and yahoo and msn are based on the content.

Bill
                        Professional icon design team

Comment

Originally posted by AmericanShippingCenters
                          I love whatever yahoo did, because now American Shipping Center is on the top 10 for about 6 or7 of our biggest keywords. I was running my search engine ranking checker, and the top hits came from nowhere, which is a very pleasant surprise! Here's the keywords and their rankings we're up there for :)

Our biggest goal is to be #1 for "fulfillment", but we are competing with wikipedia, which will probably never happen, but #2 would be just as awesome!

#5 fulfillment

#2 ebay fulfillment

#9 fulfillment house (we'd really like to be #2 for "fulfillment house" but again we are competing with wikipedia)

#6 fulfillment service

#6 order fulfillment

#5 pick and pack services

#7 product fulfillment

we're getting for a keyword phrase we really need "pick and pack"
                          Currently
                          #41 & #55 pick and pack :(

This is the page we are currently reworking the content on because it should be a lot higher than it is.

If you guys have any questions about this stuff, let me know, and i'm happy to help you with your websites as well :)

We also changed some stuff on our homepage since the last time our website was crawled....hopefully, we didn't give up a good thing being on page #1 for the bulk of our keywords in order to move up a space or two :(
                          Interesting -what Search Engine Ranking Checker and Keyword Research tool are you using? Oh, please take a look at my site if you have time and let me know if you have any ideas for improvement or SEO. Thanks -I need all the help we can get...
                          Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Originally posted by beglobal
                            I think it is not that important the search engine ranking. The trick is to do a very good keyword research which helps us to get a better position on internet.
                            :)
                            Any tips you can share on keyword research will be greatly appreciated.
                            Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Working...
                            X