Product Import - Update Product Category Assignments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Product Import - Update Product Category Assignments

I've recently begun testing the "new" import functionality in an attempt to move away from a custom module we had written for us years ago.

The native functionality works wonderfully for us with one big exception.

Our import file includes the list of categories to which each product should be assigned. This changes very regularly for us. When trying to update existing products with this data, the list of assigned categories is appended instead of updated to the new list. So, once assigned, the update functionality cannot remove the assignment. It can only add new assignments.

The only way to remove assignments is to use the Replace option, but that causes a whole mess of other problems.

We really need there to be an setting within the import that allows us to specify that the assigned categories should be updated to whatever is in the file (like other fields are updated when they're imported).

Paul
    Paul

Re: Product Import - Update Product Category Assignments

I've filed a bug on this and we'll add a configuration setting to allow you to choose between "add categories" or "replace categories" in a future version.

Comment

Originally posted by burch View Post
      I've filed a bug on this and we'll add a configuration setting to allow you to choose between "add categories" or "replace categories" in a future version.
      That's great! Any idea at this point as to which version might reflect the change?

Paul
      Paul

Comment

PR9 is the most likely candidate. It will certainly not make PR8 Update 7, as we are in the final stages of our release process already. We expect to start working on PR9 shortly after the release of PR8 Update 7, and for PR8 Update 7 to be the last update to PR8.

Comment

Originally posted by burch View Post
          PR9 is the most likely candidate. It will certainly not make PR8 Update 7, as we are in the final stages of our release process already. We expect to start working on PR9 shortly after the release of PR8 Update 7, and for PR8 Update 7 to be the last update to PR8.

Thanks again. When is PR9 slated for release?

Paul
          Paul

Comment

We don't provide dates for that as we're always wrong.
            Thanks,

Rick Wilson
            CEO
            Miva, Inc.
            [email protected]
            https://www.miva.com

Comment

Has this feature/fix been introduced, yet?

Thanks,
              Paul
              Paul

Comment

No this is intended for Version 9 which is sometime next year.
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Wilson View Post
                  No this is intended for Version 9 which is sometime next year.

Thanks. Got confused with PR9 and Update 9.

Paul
                  Paul

Comment

Paul,

That happens to the best of us, we're going to attempt to address that with our updated Versioning with Version 9.
                    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                    CEO
                    Miva, Inc.
                    [email protected]

Comment

Rick,
                      If I am reading this thread correctly, this issue has been identified as a problem since October, 2012. It would seem that a fix would have already been implemented. I encountered and reported the problem October, 2013, and I thought it would have been taken care of already. Is there any reason that it has to wait until Version 9? Can't you just include it in a interim update? There have been 5 updates since Burch's 10/05/2012 post that it missed the PR7 update! I have thousands of products that have to be re-categorized on a seasonal basis and it is very expensive to do manually. Is this just an oversight on Miva's part? Please make it happen as soon as possible!!!
                      Thanks,
                      Jack

Comment

Jack,

There aren't any interim updates between now and Version 9, but I'll have to check with Development on the status. I'll see what options we have to assist until it's fixed properly.
                        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                        CEO
                        Miva, Inc.
                        [email protected]

Comment

Rick,
                          Thanks for your prompt reply! I look forward to hearing from you soon. I am sure that Paul would be very pleased, as well.
                          Regards,
                          Jack

Comment

Rick,
                            Were you able to check with Development yet to see "what options you have to assist until it's fixed properly"?
                            It would seem an easy enough fix to treat the Category column like any other column that is being imported and updated.
                            Thanks again,
                            Jack

Comment

I'm waiting to hear from them, but I don't believe there's going to be anything pre V9.
                              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                              CEO
                              Miva, Inc.
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X