Deleting Categories

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • phishbed
    Mivite

    • Nov 2007
    • 170

    #1

    Deleting Categories

    Hello all. It's been a long time since I've made a request. We are having repeated problems with our staff accidentally deleting categories. This happens while editing a product when they are attempting to unassign the item from a category. The unassign minus sign can be confused with the trash can sign. I can cuss my data people all I want, but, full disclosure, I've made the same mistake myself. You are also aware that it is nearly impossible to accurately recover the category and its assigned products once it has been deleted. This problem could be easily solved by eliminating the category trash can button on the Product>Category screen. You should only be able to delete categories from the category edit screens.

    Here's an image to explain what I mean.

    Thanks for the consideration!

    Jamin Jones
    AOMC

    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Jamin Jones, CEO
    the Appalachian Offroad Motorcycle Company
  • Rick Wilson
    Uber Mivite











    • Aug 2007
    • 10124

    #2
    We're re-doing the UI around this in V10 to help alleviate these kind of issues.
    Thanks,

    Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

    Comment

    • kayakbabe
      Mega Mivite




      • Jun 2008
      • 1520

      #3
      We had that issue too. But deleting a category is a really rare occurrence for us becuase we don't want to lose SEO. Our policy isn't to delete immediately, we usually use the URI system to redirect the link to that category first, and only then delete it. So, I only have one of my employees allowed to delete. Everyone can assign/unassign make active/inactive all day long. but only their supervisor gets to actually delete categories or products. I use the user groups to control what they can do.

      Comment

      Working...
      X