Cloning Products - Please, Please, Please Make us Happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloning Products - Please, Please, Please Make us Happy

I know this is something that might happen down the road at Miva but I would just like to reiterate how important this is to shops that add thousands upon thousands of revolving products during the course of time.

The way it is now you have to start from scratch on every product. We do have the 3rd party Product Copy App and that is very half baked and poorly designed. For example, it copies in the Created Date for the product you are copying, and if that product is active will set this new half baked product active immediately which is a problem. Yes, we could set the product inactive clone and then set it active again but that is a live product someone may be working with on the site as a customer.

To truly make this a robust feature this function could have an admin configuration panel where we could de-select fields we did not want to clone to the new product.

Otherwise, it could just do a wholesale copy of the product.

For example, our shop could get a product that is the same model but in 10 different colors so the only difference is the color of the product. The way it is now we could have to create and build 10 identical products with the only exception being changing the color in a few areas like the product title, SEO fields, and URL. No, we cannot just add a product with inventory variants of color because we have custom logic in our site that requires each of these products to be stand-alone products.

So with a product clone feature, it would turn an exercise of creating 10 products from scratch into creating one and then cloning it 9 times and adjusting the few areas of the product that need it.

A savings of a lot of time - estimated an hour or more depending on how fast you are stressing to create them.

Most shops have standard products across brands that change over time. Same shirt different graphic. A new line of widgets from a brand, with new graphics. In our business and I am sure many similar that is how it is.

When I was originally signing up from Miva I almost backed out because it did not have this functionality and I was told it was coming. Well, it is going on almost 2 years since I was told that and have not heard any news that this is coming.

Workflow is so important. Just the act of trying to add a product that has 8 categories takes a lot of time when you have to do it over and over and over and over again. But when you have a template a product that is almost identical with a few variances, that hard work you put into that product can be used as a template.

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please think about your community of stores that are working very hard to grow their businesses and how much time this could save them. Do this to help us have a more enjoyable experience working in the Miva backend. There are a lot of cool features in there but working on complex products is kind of like working in a rats nest in Miva and this would truly lead to a lot of happy Miva customers.

The answer I always get, is well you could use a spreadsheet and import products in batch. Yes, you can do that and I am sure many shops do this. Not all store owners want to give admin access to all of their employees and to the import section of the site especially.

Baseline workflow functionality is key!! Like hey, maybe a button in order processing to print an order quickly instead of having to go to batch actions, reports… Shops are running hard all day and these little things mean a lot to us.

From The Mountain Top
    Thanks for your consideration.

Product Copy is going to a part of Miva 10. I'm happy to share with you some early ideas on how it will work and get your feedback. Private Message me and we can setup a call.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Working...
    X