Kits: Using Master Product as a Component of It's Own Case Quantities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kits: Using Master Product as a Component of It's Own Case Quantities

We recently needed to reconfigure our products that are sold by the single, dozen, or gross so that we can accurately track their inventory.

The master product, Widgets, has attributes of "By the Piece", "By the Dozen", and "By the Gross". We track the inventory of the master product, and the current stock amount is counted "by the piece" inclusive of the total pieces in any dozen-kits or gross-kits.

We configured the product using Inventory Kit Builder. The variants each contain quantities of their own master product; 1 (piece), 12 (dozen), and 144 (gross).

When inventory is tracked, the amount deducted from the Current Inventory level is always over by 1 per number of "master product" ordered. So for example 3 @ 1-Piece deducts 6 from inventory, 3 @ dozen-kit deducts 39 from inventory, etc. It appears that this is because Miva is deducting the amount assigned to each part, and also deducting 1 for each "master kit product".

In order for inventory tracking to be correct on products where the attribute parts are actually quantities of the master product itself, it would be necessary Miva to recognize when master products and parts are the same product code and adjust accordingly.

For the time being we created a hack to get around this.. we assign one less than the amount in our case (assign 11 parts for the dozen-kit, easy enough,) but for the single-unit attributes (since you're not allowed to assign 0 of a part,) we created a fake "adjustment product" (no cost, no inventory tracking) and assign that as the only part for the per-piece variant. The hack works, but it's clumsy and comes along with other issues we had to address.. (hiding it in an availability group, it shows up on ShipStation invoices, etc.)

Would love to see either a new way to create kits that are simply bundled units of the master product itself, or a slight modification to the existing Inventory Kit Builder that would have an option to address this particular situation.
    Psydde Delicious
    Delicious Boutique & Corseterie
    Philadelphia, PA
    www.DeliciousBoutique.com
    www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Did this ever get figured out? We have the same issue. But we prefer not to use a workaround.
    Barry

Comment

I think the better approach here would be to not track inventory at the Master Product Level for this. Instead it would be better to create a part product that is used to track inventory against. The you can use attributes for pack of 1, 12, or 144 and assign the correct part quantity for each of those.

Is there use case this setup would not work for you?
      Brennan Heyde
      VP Product
      Miva, Inc.
      [email protected]
      https://www.miva.com

Comment

Brennan , thanks for the suggestion. I think I looked into that possibility but there were a couple things that stopped me from using it.

The main problem for me was that reporting on the attribute/variant level was not (or maybe still is not,) possible, so I couldn't accurately track the true quantity of items sold.

A similar thread exists here: https://www.miva.com/forums/forum/on...d-case-pricing and a Dream Feature request summarizing our use case is here: https://www.miva.com/forums/forum/ge...ase-quantities There might be some useful information in those posts for others.
        Psydde Delicious
        Delicious Boutique & Corseterie
        Philadelphia, PA
        www.DeliciousBoutique.com
        www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

Working...
        X