Send email notifiation when Miva encounters a Fatal Database Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send email notifiation when Miva encounters a Fatal Database Error

We have had some incidents where a shopper encounters a Fatal Error when doing things like adding an item to their cart/basket.

Once that occurs no shopper will be able to add anything to their cart/basket until the error (usually a crashed Miva database) is dealt with.

The issue to resolve is that the store owner will not know about the problem until some shopper calls in or emails and that might not be for some time so there could be many orders missed until the store owner is notified.

It would be grand if when a Fatal Error of any kind is encountered during a shopping session an email or other notification would be sent to the store owner instead having to wait for some shopper to notify the store owner.

There is another topic in the community here with some details and possible solutions:

https://www.miva.com/forums/forum/on...adding-to-cart

Wow, I have never seen that. While you wait for a possible feature to be rolled out, what are the prevention steps you have in place for this not to happen in the first place? I would think having the most recent Miva version and engine installed and running as well as properly setup MySQL and maintenance routines and Miva cleanup scheduled tasks as well as non-infinite basket expiry settings would be probably enough to never see this issue on a Miva hosted site. (And that was a long sentence. Need less coffee!)
    Colin Puttick
    Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

The issue with a feature like this is...once the error occurs, miva stops. That's why its called a 'fatal' error. This is intentional to prevent a potential error from causing more damage than already exists. As Colin pointed out, an well kept miva site should never (or extremely rarely) have any fatal errors that don't 'self correct'.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by joseibarra View Post
        We have had some incidents where a shopper encounters a Fatal Error when doing things like adding an item to their cart/basket.

Once that occurs no shopper will be able to add anything to their cart/basket until the error (usually a crashed Miva database) is dealt with.

The issue to resolve is that the store owner will not know about the problem until some shopper calls in or emails and that might not be for some time so there could be many orders missed until the store owner is notified.

It would be grand if when a Fatal Error of any kind is encountered during a shopping session an email or other notification would be sent to the store owner instead having to wait for some shopper to notify the store owner.

There is another topic in the community here with some details and possible solutions:

https://www.miva.com/forums/forum/on...adding-to-cart
        Such a solution did exist back in the MM4+ days, I believe it was a module from a third-party Miva Developer I used it for many years up until we migrated to our store to the new platform.
        Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Being devils advocate here and speaking from unfortunate experience with another app, having a feature that emails you on a fatal error can and does often leads to an almost endless loop of emails - like you can get thousands within seconds. So I think I know another reason why this is not in Miva.

But in theory if there was some smartness to it where it would only send one email then that would be neat.
          Colin Puttick
          Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

Working...
          X