Turn off RTF editor Site/User Wide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn off RTF editor Site/User Wide?

Unless I missed that day in school (highly likely) can we have a way to turn off RTF editors throughout the site? Reason being is that we have many clients where data content has to have VERY specific formatting from the use of line breaks to specific CSS classes being used. In these sites, we've either provided other means of Content management where clients can't handle raw HTML or that they have HTML savvy content managers or we do it.

Reason is, in at least some of these RTF faced templates, just touching them can cause html code to be added.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Cheering and wild applause for Bruce's suggestion!
    Jamie Donaldson
    JSDVS Web Design / Development
    Web Design | Web Development | E-commerce Design & Integration

Comment

Web devs hate the WYSIWYG editors.
      Customers love them and hate not having them.
      I remember there used to be a user preferences thing that would turn them off. I'm not searching in MM10 for where that is cause all mine seem to be ON again ...

I think a real solution needs to happen because yes, totally, specifically JSON data in textarea custom fields, for a specific example... not fun.

Honestly if there were ways to lock down custom fields and readytheme content sections even so you had to be in a specific admin group to access them that might be a bandaid and we who have access to those remember to click 'code view' before editing them, for formatting them to be readable etc.
      Colin Puttick
      Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

It seems to be set user by user, at least in 9.x.

Here's how I get there in V. 9
        1. Go into "Users"
        2. Click on the user you want to edit
        3. Click the "Preferences" button in the dynamic tool bar
        4. Click the Double "nut" button in the modal window
        5. Click "Global Text Editor Preferences"
        6. You should now see a set of check boxes and descriptions customize the text editing experience to your preferences.

It's pretty similar in V.10, just need to actually click the "check box" for the user(s) you want to change.

Comment

yes, but you can't log in as another "user". Most devs are smart enough (or can learn) to not touch those editors--but its everyone else we want to prevent from accessing those boxes.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Bruce - PhosphorMedia you give me bad ideas of writing SQL that does that setting for all admin users >:)
            Colin Puttick
            Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

Working...
            X