Show Current Branch on Front Side of Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Current Branch on Front Side of Site

Regardless of what Dev Branch you are in, if you are logged into admin, PLEASE show the branch name.

Was asked to do a quick update to a site, couldn't figure out why changes wheren't showing...turns out, client had used a non-standard branch as "primary".

(also, Pro Tip: Probably never want to use anything other than Production, as the live branch over a long time. Kind of like using 'dev.domain' as your live site.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

I agree that "Production" should generally be the live branch, as a matter of "best practices." But, I think the live branch will always have "(Primary)" appended next to the branch name. I was in one store recently, the primary branch was Primary, so Primary (primary).

Also, I am fairly certain that the current branch being edited is always displayed in the upper left of the admin when in "User Interfaces." But, if there are other areas where branch data/templates can be edited, the branch needs to be obvious.

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

"Also, I am fairly certain that the current branch being edited is always displayed in the upper left of the admin when in "User Interfaces." But, if there are other areas where branch data/templates can be edited, the branch needs to be obvious."

Hard to say for certain has this was not a client for whom we do a lot of work for, but, when i logged in to make a tweak or two, the branch was listed as Production. That's why it took me a couple of minutes of trying figure out why the changes I was making did not appear on the live site. Plus, as noted before (and to which you also allude too) THE BRANCH SYSTEMS NEEDS TO BE MORE OBVIOUS...thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Here's a thought. Along with the word (in dull grey) that say's Primary, how about the primary branch being the only one that is allowed to use the Green color.
      Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

We have some changes planned around template branches to address a lot of these issues. They include making the branch you're on far more obvious in admin both from within User Interface and when editing any area outside of User Interface that is included in Template Branches (Product/Category header footers for example)

We'll also look into showing the branch runtime widget if the branch is not production.
        Brennan Heyde
        VP Product
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]
        https://www.miva.com

Comment

THANKS BRENNAN!

And remember, some of are drunk blind bats with ADHD.
          Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
          X