Allow Dots, Slashes and Spaces in Miva Part Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow Dots, Slashes and Spaces in Miva Part Numbers

I'm sure someone will share the reason that Dots, Slashes and Spaces are not allowed in Miva Product Codes.

We are a reseller and carry products from 100+ different manufacturers and many use Dots, Slashes and Spaces in their part numbers.

When we have to add those we have chosen to convert all the Dots, Slashes and Spaces to dashes so they can then be imported.

But shoppers using search engines are not going to replace the Dots, Slashes and Spaces in the part numbers they seek with dashes.

We added a Custom Field we populate and display it on the Product Detail page in a separate place but since we can't get that into the H1 Product Code we feel we lose shoppers.

Eventually the search engines might will pick up our Custom Field but it seems all our competitor sites are able to get the Dots, Slashes and Spaces into their H1s so Internet searches are probably going to our competitors instead of us - if we even show up at all.

Maybe there is some trick to it or some special coding that would do the job but it would be easier if Miva allowed Dots, Slashes and Spaces in Product Codes.

Originally posted by joseibarra View Post
    I'm sure someone will share the reason that Dots, Slashes and Spaces are not allowed in Miva Product Codes.

We are a reseller and carry products from 100+ different manufacturers and many use Dots, Slashes and Spaces in their part numbers.

When we have to add those we have chosen to convert all the Dots, Slashes and Spaces to dashes so they can then be imported.

But shoppers using search engines are not going to replace the Dots, Slashes and Spaces in the part numbers they seek with dashes.

We added a Custom Field we populate and display it on the Product Detail page in a separate place but since we can't get that into the H1 Product Code we feel we lose shoppers.

Eventually the search engines might will pick up our Custom Field but it seems all our competitor sites are able to get the Dots, Slashes and Spaces into their H1s so Internet searches are probably going to our competitors instead of us - if we even show up at all.

Maybe there is some trick to it or some special coding that would do the job but it would be easier if Miva allowed Dots, Slashes and Spaces in Product Codes.
    joseibarra, I have been lobbying for product code field validation on the forums for years to avoid those and other problematic characters used in URLs.

Create and/or use a product UPC custom field and use said field in your product page template HTML title, meta description, and h1-h6.
    Last edited by William Davis; 02-13-22, 07:29 AM.
    Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Try toggling this setting in the Domain settings part: "use strict validation for codes" checkbox.

Otherwise use the SKU field or anything else for your actual product code and modify the H1 tag display to have that custom field value instead. There are numerous ways around this.
      Colin Puttick
      Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

Originally posted by dreamingdigital View Post
        Try toggling this setting in the Domain settings part: "use strict validation for codes" checkbox.

Otherwise use the SKU field or anything else for your actual product code and modify the H1 tag display to have that custom field value instead. There are numerous ways around this.
        Yes, BUT. Make sure you are using URI Managment. You can't have a URL like /mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&product_code=this/product/rocks.

Or, a URL like "/this/product/rocks.html". i mean you can, but it won't get you to the product you want.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Slashes are pretty much reserved on the internet to designate folder hierarchy in navigation. I haven’t seen a manufacturer using slashes in something like 20 years. I feel for ya Jose.

Comment

Appreciate the ideas of which I will investigate.

I had already toyed with the idea of using a Custom Field (SKU is already used) so I think I will pursue that...

One manufacturer has part numbers like this which have a space and a slash:

Q-20-2D SCANNER/EMV

I think the Custom Field, modify the Product Display Layout page will work just fine.

Comment

Working...
            X