Nested mvt:comments pretty please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nested mvt:comments pretty please

There are very legitimate times to comment out code that will contain existing mvt:comments, but when the compiler hits them, it has a heart attack and declares the commented code to be invalid. Please allow properly nested mvt:comments, or, if I have egg on my face and there is a proper way around this other than modifying the mvt:comments and making a note to put them back in the future, please let me know what the solution is.

You can't nest mvt:comment tags today. Can you give me a few use cases you've come across?
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Brennan Use case:
      I have a complex bunch of code that I write and put comments above the sections of what does what. Now for testing or even change requests, I don't want to delete a bunch of code I want to comment it out. Probelem is that I can't just comment out that big chunk of code because it has comments in it already. That happens to me all the time because I have to come back to things months later and know what Past Colin was doing. So I do have comments in my code :)

PS: I also know mvt:exit is awesome and putting code chunks into content sections and/or content item blocks makes it easier to "comment out" chunks of code with comments in them by just not running those items at all.
      Colin Puttick
      Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

Use case:
        I have a client that is temporarily suspending purchasing on their site, and wants to disable all purchase options, including display of attributes, etc. Since it's temporary, I just wanted to comment out the add to cart sections of the website, but the purchase process on the site is heavily customized, and therefore heavily commented. In order to comment out those sections, I had to go in and modify all of the comments. Then, when they resume offering purchasing, I will have to do the same in reverse.

Comment

FYI: In those cases I just use <mvt:if expr="g.dont_show_this_code"></mvt:if>
          to wrap <mvt:comment></mvt:comment> code.

(if you can't be smart...at least be clever)
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
          X