Dead or Broken Link Checker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead or Broken Link Checker

I am wondering if anyone is using a service or script that correctly reports broken links in a Miva store? I tried Xenu which I use on other sites but it didn;t find the external document links -see this page linksd in the Information and Ordering section (I have fixed these but these are the link it is not finding) http://www.allfrom1supply.com/mercha...de=flr-metro-1 I also tried two online services but they also fail to find the broken links.

An alternate, less desirable, solution I remember from one of my old sites was a 'report dead link' icon link next to all links that would allow a customer to log the broken link.

If anyone is using a reliable solution I appreciate your response.

Thanks

Re: Dead or Broken Link Checker

We had problems with what you are describing when using shadow boxes linking to things like policy pages or supplier info because **most** link checkers won't fire javascripts. We found it worked to put in "no script" tag sets with links to kill two birds with one stone -- allow non-JS users access to the data and have non-js links to check for dead links. Plus, search engines find all that hidden goodness, too.

It's really this simple and you can style it just like everything else:

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_noscript.asp
    Last edited by nottheusual1; 03-28-13, 08:57 AM.

Comment

You could also use a redirect for a 404 Page not found error, point to a Merchant page, and use something like Toolbelt/Toolkit to cause access to that page to generate either a log file or email to you.

Details probably available by searching the Forum archives...know its been discussed before.
      Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Bruce -- link checkers still won't fire the javascripts to access the links that would generate the 404s, though.

Comment

Correct, but I was mentioning a way to monitor dead links (based on the theory that if no human clicks it, its not really dead...its abandoned<g>)...not anything to do with Link Checkers...guess I should have hit "reply" on his first post...sorry.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The noscript idea should work fine - thanks.

Comment

Another option is to use a redirect for a 404 Page Not Found error, point to a Merchant page, and use Configuration tool to make access to that page generate a log file or an email to you. Searching the Forum archives should turn up more information; it has undoubtedly been covered before.

Comment

Working...
              X