BBB seal - is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBB seal - is it worth it?

I was recently contacted by BBB to see if I wanted to place a BBB seal on my site.

Can anyone comment on weather or not it is worth the money to have BBB seal displayed on your site?

Re: BBB seal - is it worth it?

I'm curious.. what is the cost?

I can't see how it can possibly hurt..

--
    Thank you,
    Gary Hodder
    Support
    --
    CybrHost Corp. - http://www.cybrhost.com/ - [email protected]
    +1-866-300-MIVA - Professional Miva & E-Commerce web hosting services.
    Premiere Hosting Partner Since 1999

Comment

We placed that seal and three others on our website and saw no noticeable increase in sales or conversion rate. We did not do any A/B testing, and we may be an anomaly (we technically saw a slight decrease in conversion using the HackerSafe A/B testing).

Your site may benefit from it if the customer's lack trust in your security, but I don't think there's anything magic about it.

Comment

In general, the BBB seal helps, when prominiently displayed, when your targetted customer base consists of a lot of e-commerce neophytes (not that there are many around anymore). For example, when one was installed on a site selling youth orientated t-shirts, not difference was seen. However, when installed on a site selling custom knitting yarn, a modest 7% increase was seen.
        (BTW: Verisign and eTrust and others have NEVER--in my experiance--generated any increase in sales.)
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by CybrHost View Post
          I'm curious.. what is the cost?

I can't see how it can possibly hurt..
          It can hurt our pockets! :):) It is almost $500 per year.

Comment

I was contacted by my local BBB chapter recently but decided not become a member. The research I did online revealed that most BBB badge members did not believe it helped sales and some members were annoyed at rising costs every year. I would have only displayed the BBB badge on a couple of pages (ex: about us and customer service pages).

I do use the McAfee badge (formerly HackerSafe) on the footer of every page. Their daily scan is useless really but I love being able to tell security concerned customers that our Web site is scanned daily by a third party and that they can confirm this by clicking on the McAfee badge on the bottom of the page.

Comment

Paul,

Have you tried moving it to the top of the screen? The A/B testing suggests that's the only place it can have any impact, but of course each site varies by their customers.
              Thanks,

Rick Wilson
              CEO
              Miva, Inc.
              [email protected]
              https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by TipPro View Post
                I do use the McAfee badge (formerly HackerSafe) on the footer of every page. Their daily scan is useless really but I love being able to tell security concerned customers that our Web site is scanned daily by a third party and that they can confirm this by clicking on the McAfee badge on the bottom of the page.
                What you posted although very sad is very true. Tell people what they want to hear and everything will be just fine.

Tom
                Tom Young
                Hourglass Maker Since 1975
                http://www.tkyoung.com

Comment

Working...
                X