'Left field' Miva suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Left field' Miva suggestion

Had a random brain spasm of an idea - but too far out there to put in the regular suggestion box so wanted to toss it here. If nothing else it keeps it from rattling around in the bony box of my brain. ;)

Video and audio apps, and even 2D graphics apps like Photoshop use the 'envelope' or 'smart object' concept where you can put an audio or video file, or one or more layers into a higher level object (an envelope or smart object) and apply changes that affect the contents of the inner objects without destroying them.

I was just making a bunch of tedious changes to attributes because of changes to steel prices and it made me wonder if it might be programmatically possible for Miva to create a similar 'envelope' object for say attributes. So for example I have products like door springs, that are affected by steel or aluminum prices a few times per year, that add cost by the inch over a certain length (so about 15 different length + cost options per spring), I could enclose the attributes for these products in a 'steel price adjustment' envelope and add 5% which would affect all objects in the envelope. The customer would see them with the 5% added, but on the backend in the envelope they have the price, plus a product_price_plus_envelope:steel_adjustment. In the future I could simply manually edit the one adjustment field or perhaps even have a scheduled task that got a current steel price percentage increase and updated all the 'steel_price_adjustment' envelopes.

I know we can have customfields and can do this other ways, so this isn't a fleshed out idea - just thinking outside the box.
    Last edited by habreu; 03-12-18, 12:48 PM.

Yea, i get it. Interesting but I think it would be very difficult to build for more than a few data sets. What you might want to do for this specific task is use a dynamic field in an excel spreadsheet and import.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

I may end up doing that if the tariffs affects our products using steel and aluminum and prices start to fluctuate regularly. Currently we have a lot of items that could be affected.

The idea just struck me as interesting - not necessarily practical. Figured I'd put it out there.

Comment

Working...
      X