Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Load Alternate Display Page based on link parameter or other solution for ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Load Alternate Display Page based on link parameter or other solution for ...

One of the products we sell is paint. Some of them are complex products with special mixing and appplication requirements and it would be good to have the ability to readily look up documentation in the field. I can add a QR code to the paint can labels so the contractor can jump to a special page with all the docs they need but realized I would end up duplicating and managing a lot of content that is already on the product pages - I'd also probably have to reformat some of those documents to work on the phone which is a second issue.

In any case I wondered if I could link to a product page using a QR code ie https://www.allfrom1supply.com/endur...door-wall.html

but append a tag like so ?contractorview=1 so that I can serve a stripped down PROD page with the text and document sections which might be friendlier for guys just trying to quickly get product info. I could just link any extra documents into the existing structure I have for the products rather than rolling out a seperategroup of info pages.

The second issue is that some of the linked documents are PDF's and I'm guessing some won't flow right as they weren't originally designed with a view towards cellphones.

I welcome any other suggestions for solutions.

None of this is critical. I can link to the existing page and leave it at that (or I could create an entirely seperate system which I don't want to do as it would be hell keep all those documents and information synced in the three places they could appear) but it would be helpful for our contractors so I want to at least bat around the idea.

Off the top of my head, just create a new page template, and pass the product code in the URL. I.e., https://www.allfrom1supply.com/product-info.html?c=this_prod_code

Then use Product_Lode_Code() function to get the product data. You'll have to call all the custom fields yourself, but that's not a big deal if you call it like:

<mvt:item name="customfields" param="Read_Product_Code( 'product_code', l.settings:customfields )" />

(at least i've been told that if you exclude the custom field, it just loads all of them up on l.settings:customFields and you can use l.settings:customFields:this-custom-field-code

Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce. I'll take a poke at this and run it by the boss. If he gives the go ahead I may have another little project at some point.

Comment

Working...
      X