Processing Refunds in Authorize.net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processing Refunds in Authorize.net

We were longtime users of Intuit Merchant Services (IMS) who were recently forced to switch payment gateways due to the recent business decision to no longer support IMS. Anyway, we were always able to process refunds within the Miva order processing screen immediately. Now that we are using Authorize.net (supposedly one of the most common gateways), it appears that we cannot issue a refund unless the charge is settled - which is not very convenient as it means waiting 24 hours). We also appear to have no way void the original transaction - which is what Authorize.net suggests we do. Of course the workaround would be to void the transaction in the Authorize.net portal, but then our Miva data is not in sync with reality. I'm scratching my head trying to understand how this could be. I'm curious how other Authorize.net users handle this? Does no one else but us have this need to adjust a captured total shortly after it was captured???

That does not seem right.

Are you using Automatic Capture (online), or Auth only (offline)?

If you are using Auth+Capture you would be able to refund. If you are using Auth Only you could be able to Void.

Are you getting an error when you try to void/refund?
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Hi Brennan,

Thanks for responding. We use Auth only. However, then we go in to Miva's Order Processing when ready to process the order and Capture. The issue we are having is if we capture and then minutes later realize we had wanted to capture a lesser amount (perhaps we offered the client a discount and in error captured the original Authorized amount instead of the lesser discounted order total), we cannot then refund the money until the payment is settled (usually a day later). When we used Intuit Merchant Services, we could refund immediately. I spoke with Auth.net and they confirmed that you can only refund once the transaction is settled; however, they said that we should be able to VOID the entire transaction and start again. Unfortunately once I capture the funds inside Miva, the Void option is no longer available (it's only available if the transaction is still just authorized). Auth.net said void should be an option at any time before the transaction is settled.

Please let me know if this is something that can be looked into. Of course the workaround is to go into our Auth.net portal and do whatever I need to do - but then Miva is out of sync with our real life transactions and that would be a huge accounting headache....

Best,
      Debbie

Comment

Hi Brennan, Did you pass along these comments to anyone because it appears to have been rectified (and I am so happy!)? thanks, Debbie

Comment

Working...
        X