Outlook for GSuite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outlook for GSuite

Looking for hints on connecting an older version (2003 maybe?) of Outlook to a GSuite Business email account. Per Google help docs ( : ( ) it should happily connect effortlessly. I've already found inconsistency in their docs about configuring GSuite. And then Outlook is still the same devil spawn as usual. Any tips on things to check on or configure that may have left out. I'm trying to walk a client through configuration.

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

I'd actually be surprised that would work. If there is any hope of it working, you would probably need to search for setting an 'app password' for the account in question, to allow normal user/pass auth without two factor and without the normal Google authentication process. I would strongly recommend never completing such a setup; any version of Outlook old enough to not have native Google account integration is most likely end of life, and may potentially be vulnerable to compromise. It would also prevent using two factor authentication.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

I think this applies. I found a note on the Google machine that lists compatible clients. Office365 was listed. Outlook wasn't identified specifically. Since it's included in Office365, might be safe to assume they are implying Over365 is latest(min) version of Outlook that should be used.

Scott
      AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration

Comment

Scott - I had to contact Google support and they actually had to install a synch app when I was on that version of Outlook. It took several DAYS to synch (albeit my Outlook folder is HUGE). None of that info was found online back then, must have been their internal little secret. Since switching to Office 365 things are smooth and simple - time to update?
        Sabine Sharp
        eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
        Glendale Designs
        Support Desk

Comment

Thanks, Sabine.

I don't know how willing to update the client is atm. There are many moving parts atm in uncertain times. But, that's been my prescription - to upgrade Outlook.

Thing is, it might be best to also switch to Microsoft 365 business, where the whole office suite plus the business email is covered in the cost which similar to the GSuite business.

Scott

Comment

Agreed - we are kind of a 'tweaner', we use Office 365 but not in all locations, which is where GSuite for business comes in. Plus Google plays well with our project management software.
            Sabine Sharp
            eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
            Glendale Designs
            Support Desk

Comment

Working...
            X