Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Obtaining customer's credit card issuing bank phone number w/o card number?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obtaining customer's credit card issuing bank phone number w/o card number?

How does a merchant obtain a customer's credit card issuing bank phone number without a card number? After all, Miva, gateway, card processor, etc... no one seems to capture this key piece of information necessary in order to obtain the customer's credit card issuing bank phone number due to PCI compliance.

Would welcome any suggestions to address my current need and moving forward.

Moving forward, I am thinking of adding a conditional custom filed based on certain parameters to capture issuing bank phone number on the back of the card (maybe issuing bank's name as well), unless there is a module already available for this or a better suggestion.
    Thank you, Bill Davis

I'm curious when that number would be useful? In the past, when I've dealt with orders that were clearly fraudulent and used the first six digits to find the issuer, none would ever talk to me, even when I said I'm happy to give you a credit card number for one of your customers, I know the card number has been stolen, you could at least call them.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post
      I'm curious when that number would be useful? In the past, when I've dealt with orders that were clearly fraudulent and used the first six digits to find the issuer, none would ever talk to me, even when I said I'm happy to give you a credit card number for one of your customers, I know the card number has been stolen, you could at least call them.
      The number is very useful for questionable orders. Just because an order is questionable with more than one red flag it does not mean its fraudulent.

So what we do is call the issuing bank and to confirm whether or not the order and obtain a confirmation number. Many times they contact the card holder to confirm the order.

Obviously we do not do this with every order, we only do this orders that meet specified criteria.

It would be ideal if possible, for Miva to display the issuing bank phone number and IP address (yes, I know that info is available in another screen, but they always ask for that information and it would be convenient if its all in one place. Sometimes they ask for OS and browser, but that is very rare). We've been successful in having the issuing bank call the card holder 50% of the times in recent years. Prior to that, 80-90% of the times.
      Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

I'll ask about this internally; perhaps there's a way the store could query for it if the information is public. My experience with issuing banks is they won't confirm or deny anything, or do anything useful, but that could be dated info.
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]
        http://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post
          I'll ask about this internally; perhaps there's a way the store could query for it if the information is public. My experience with issuing banks is they won't confirm or deny anything, or do anything useful, but that could be dated info.
          We don't have a need to use it that often. But it does come in handy most of the time when the need arises. As stated earlier, we've had great success in the past. However, in the last few years 50% of issuing bank will only tell you if the account is still in good standing versus reaching out to the customer to confirm the order. Prior to that we've had great results in saving quite a few big orders.

For now I guess we will try use a conditional using a custom field to collect issuing bank name and phone numbers based on certain parameters until someone comes up with something better.
          Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Working...
          X