Offering free samples, getting picked up by a freebie site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offering free samples, getting picked up by a freebie site

We offer free samples with our weekly newsletter. We usually get around 25 requests through out site per week. But several times a year, a freebie site will pick up the offer and we'll get flooded with hundreds of requests. We don't view this mass of requests as worthwhile, since they're coming from a site for people who just want free stuff with no intention to buy. I know this is the danger of offering free samples, but my bosses are dead set on continuing the practice. I have started blocking those freebie sites in my htaccess file, but sometimes the requests come in from a Facebook freebie page and I don't want to block Facebook, since we do have an official presence there.

I'm a little bit frazzled. I don't know how to proceed with future sample requests. Does anyone have any ideas on filtering out these weak sales leads?
    Doug
    Using Miva Merchant since 2004
    StoreSMART.com

Interesting predicament. Why not offer free sample options wherein "shoppers" can chose their free samples along with their paid order over x?

Marketing Tip: Then followup with a automated email a day or so after their order is received to buy requested samples. Twenty four hours later follow up again, followup again twenty fours later and on the third try offer a nominal discount.

Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Thanks for the reply. We do already offer free a sample with every order, separate from our weekly offers. (My bosses really value offering free samples.) The follow up emails are a fantastic idea.
      Doug
      Using Miva Merchant since 2004
      StoreSMART.com

Comment

Originally posted by VisHorizons View Post
        Thanks for the reply. We do already offer free a sample with every order, separate from our weekly offers. (My bosses really value offering free samples.) The follow up emails are a fantastic idea.
        Well Doug, if the free sample offering campaign is measured and converting in a fashion that meets and/or exceeds adequate ROI, then let's not mess with something that is working or not broken. lol

Any chance in talking to suppliers to contribute to the cost of samples. If they believe in their products they should prove it after all you folks are footing the bill for shipping.
        Last edited by William Davis; 03-12-21, 09:02 AM.
        Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Working...
        X