Random idea: extended attributes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random idea: extended attributes

Here's a random idea from the peanut gallery which may sound like (or actually be) the ramblings of a madman. I didn't want to clog the Dream Features with my mental ramblings so dropping this here.

We are faced with adding some fuel surcharges to our 1 and 5 gallon paint products. We will be adding say $2 per gallon. Not a huge problem for us as our larger customers are all phone in customers but it did give me an idea for Miva.

Some of those paint products are grouped into one product using attributes like so

Product: Public Storage #411 Orange
    Attribute: Paint411
    PNT-A-QT: Paint A QT - Touch-Up
    PNT-A-01: Paint A 1 Gallon - Urethane Door Paint
    PNT-A-05: Paint A 5 Gallon - Urethane Door Paint
    PNT-B-05: Paint B 5 Gallon - Acrylic Wall Paint

It might be cool if you could extend an attribute in Miva. Say you could create extended variable 'gallons' then at the product level 'extend this attribute' and assign the extended value 'gallons' to the product. Then assign each attribute's extended 'gallons' field a value

PNT-A-QT.gallons = null
    PNT-A-01.gallons = 1
    PNT-A-05.gallons = 5
    PNT-B-05.gallons =5

We don't really care about quarts so we leave that field empty. When the customer then adds 5 PNT-A-05 to the cart the value for PNT-A-05 (5 x 5) 25 would be kept in a value. Then a clever programmer (not me) could read that value and create an upcharge i.e. 25 x 2.00 = $50 Fuel Surcharge.

I thought if you could create extended values this way they might be useful for many things special packing, hazardous fee, promo item etc

Working...
X