Miva Merchant Completes its Transition to a Distributed SaaS Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miva Merchant Completes its Transition to a Distributed SaaS Model

We are changing all hosting contracts as of May 1, 2009 from a licensing model to a distributed software-as-a-service model.

This change will allow us to offer enormous benefits to you as outlined here:

• 5.5 feature upgrades streamed out at no cost or disruption
    • Continuous updates to 5.5 without additional fees
    • Bug fixes and critical patches for both Miva Merchant 4 and 5.5
    • PA‐DSS compliance for both Miva Merchant 4 and 5.5
    • Free upgrade licensing to 5.5

To make this possible your host will be required to pay a small software SaaS fee for your Miva Merchant store license. I have encouraged your host to pass part of (or all of) this small fee through to our clients in light of the long-term support and benefits they will receive.

The change represents the collision of two concepts that we have struggled with since the inception of Miva Merchant. We have been selling a service-intensive product using a software product model. This does not produce the revenue required to continually support the complex, changing, and mission-critical software platform that you rely on.

In addition, our old licensing model puts our interests at odds, which this change rectifies. Traditionally, software makers hold back significant features and then release them in a large disruptive version upgrade to provide the core of their ongoing revenues. This is the equivalent of building a new house and making customers move from their current home to get the benefits of new construction, a not too pleasant and disruptive experience. Instead, we will be releasing new features to you in a non-disruptive and on-going way, adding important new functionality “brick by brick” so to speak to your store - without causing interference with your current functioning store.

Also, without this change, there is no way we can continue to offer support for the Miva Merchant 4 platform so long after the introduction of Miva Merchant 5. As it is now, our entire development team is routinely re-directed to fix critical issues with version 4 that are caused by third-party changes – such as the recent Authorize.net and Payflow Pro outages. Obviously, the revenue generated from sales of version 4 many years ago does not provide the financial resources necessary to continue to support this platform so long after the introduction of Miva Merchant 5.5 (let alone the huge undertaking to make version 4 PA-DSS certified). The same holds true for Miva Merchant 5 upgrades, patches, critical fixes and all that is involved with the PCI and PA-DSS requirements necessary to keep it fully certified for credit card processing.

Rick and I provided extensive background on this change in an interview with Practical E-Commerce (click here), as well as a personal podcast where I gave some insight into our company, and I encourage you to check it out.

For over 20 months, we have diligently repaired and improved Miva Merchant to its former brilliance, which we have surpassed. The last change is the business model itself, which allows us to stand on our own two feet without the need for outside assistance. I want you to know that all of us come to work every day with one thing in mind, to improving your success and to keep Miva Merchant the best way to sell online. I have said from day one that our success as a company will flow directly from your success.
    Russ Carroll
    CEO
    Miva Merchant
    [email protected]
    http://www.mivamerchant.com
Working...
X