Mobile Navigation Modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Navigation Modification

I am wishing for the functionality of my Iron and Wool mobile navigation set to perform exactly like the mobile navigation in the new Shadows Ready Theme: i.e. I do not wish to land on the "parent" Category pages which are really only used to drill down to the specific final end categories.

My javascript skills are limited to modifying and tweaking existing script. I can see where the script is, I can mostly understand what it is doing, I have no clue how to modify it.

My website store sells furniture. Typically, furniture is organized into top level categories that designate areas of the home: Living, Dining, Bedroom, etc. Then Living might have sub-categories of Seating, Sofas, Coffee Tables, etc.

With the drop down navigation on a desktop, a user can just skip over "Living" and go right to the category that interests him. I can actually take away that top link on "Living" so that the user doesn't even have the option of landing there. He has to choose an option from the dropdown.

In the mobile version, however, only the arrow on the right performs exactly the functionality that I want - it takes you to the child sub-category list via show/hide js navigation.

If the user clicks on the actual title for the parent category takes you to the category page listing the sub-categories (ugly and unnecessary in-between step). If I remove the link, there is only an itty bitty arrow on the right that controls the sub-category navigation menu that I would like to use. How can I link the Parent category to go to sub-category navigation menu just like the little arrow does?

The Shadow mobile navigation is exactly what I want but the javascript is completely different compared to the Iron and Wool js. I don't think it is an easy thing to swap mobile navigation in from a different ready theme, is it? Any input would be helpful.
    Katie Sorensen
    Design Quest Furniture

http://www.designquest.biz

I don't think that this will be easy because both themes are using a different base. I could imagine to mimic it rather than copy.
    Andreas Toman
    PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
    We built over 200 Miva Merchant stores!
    Miva shopping cart design & integration service and see our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
    web: www.pcinet.com
    LinkedIn: Andreas Toman
    phone: (786) 250-2056 (Miami, FL)

Comment

Hi Katie,

Andres is correct, swapping navigation structures on the older ReadyThemes was not an easy task and not possible from Shadows to one of the older ones without a complete refactoring of the code. With some creative coding and some JavaScript modifications, you may be able to create the functionality you are looking for. If you require assistance in this, I would recommend connecting with a developer or contacting Professional Services.
      Matt Zimmermann

Miva Web Developer
      Alchemy Web Development
      https://www.alchemywebdev.com
      Site Development - Maintenance - Consultation

Miva Certified Developer
      Miva Professional Developer

https://www.dev4web.net | Twitter

Comment

You might also try finding an 'outside' widget to drop in place of the existing navigation. There are literally thousands of jQuery menu widgets out there. You might even want to look at some other furniture store menus and then view source to see if they are using a ready made widget.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
        X