Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are these over-sized .dbf and .mvx files and how do we "shrink" them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are these over-sized .dbf and .mvx files and how do we "shrink" them?

31-MARCH-2015

Hiya!

We Just switched over to Miva Merchant 9 and migrated our
    site to a new Host.
    We're being told we've exceeded our hosting plan disc usage limit of 1.5Gig.

Needing to recover space, I looked around and found these massive files.
    Just These five files together add up to 1 GIG ( and 138 Meg ).
    I'd like to know what they are and how I can drastically reduce their size.

private/mivadata/Merchant5/s01/baskets.dbf 440 MB (461,897,728 bytes)

private/mivadata/Merchant5/s01/reportdata/2.mvx 269 MB (282,826,752 bytes)

private/mivadata/Merchant5/s01/reportdata/1.mvx 268 MB (281,786,368 bytes)

private/mivadata/Merchant5/s01/baskets/1.mvx 99.5 MB (104,337,408 bytes)

private/mivadata/Merchant5/s01/reportdata.dbf 86.3 MB (90,564,608 bytes)

Thanks Much In Advance! :)
    MarkHomeSurplus

Re: What are these over-sized .dbf and .mvx files and how do we "shrink" them?

MarkHomeSurplus,

Run routine maintenance on the store and that should shrink all dbf files. In version 9 go to Menu and then Data Management. You should then see a tab for Database Tools. Click on Database Tools and then on Delete Shopping Baskets. Leave the default settings and click on the red button for Delete (top right). Click on Pack Data Files after expired baskets have been deleted.

Review the file sizes after performing maintenance and contact Miva Support if you experience any issues.

Thank you,

Wayne
    Wayne Smith

Comment

Mark:

The baskets files are baskets (mostly expired). The reportdata is some sort of report data. DBF are the actual tables and MVX are the indexes.

The question is are you running MySQL or MivaSQL? In 2015 you should not be running MivaSQL, which creates a compatibility layer over dBase III files.

If you are running MySQL as your database engine, then these may be leftovers and can be deleted.

If not, then you want to look for Pack Data Files in the admin. Do not delete them.

I'm not sure if Pack Data Files specifically packs those tables.

(Why does anyone use MivaSQL anymore?)

Edit: I see Wayne gave a better answer, but my question still remains.
      Last edited by Gordon - Phosphor Media; 03-31-15, 02:09 PM.
      Gordon Currie
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thank You Wayne Smith! We'll give that a try!
        - - - -
        Thank You Too, Gordon! also...
        "...The question is are you running MySQL or MivaSQL?..."
        I'd be interested to know that too. Where should I look to Find that out?
        I'm sure it will be important to know for other reasons besides these files. :)

Comment

Sorry to Say Wayne,
          I followed your instructions for deleting the expired baskets.
          The "Processing" graphic spun for while until
          I got this Error Page:
          504 Gateway Time-out
          nginx

An interesting thing to note regarding the baskets.dbf file is that I checked its
          size again before attempting the procedure above, and it was 16 meg LARGER
          in only 24 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by markhomesurplus View Post

On the home page of Miva Merchant you will see a section for Information (see link below).

http://screencast.com/t/U4GpB8hO5
            Wayne Smith

Comment

Sorry to Say Wayne,
              I followed your instructions for deleting the expired baskets.
              The "Processing" graphic spun for while until
              I got this Error Page:
              504 Gateway Time-out
              nginx

An interesting thing to note regarding the baskets.dbf file is that I checked its
              size again before attempting the procedure above, and it was 16 meg LARGER
              in only 24 hours.
              markhomesurplus,

I pulled a search in our ticketing system and noticed you host with us. Let me see if I can perform routine maintenance on the site to help shrink those files.
              Wayne Smith

Comment

markhomesurplus,

You can now run routine maintenance without the application timing out. You did have basket files that needed attention and I would suggest running routine maintenance on a weekly basis.

I would also suggest converting the database from MivaSQL to MySQL. Miva Support can convert the database; however we recommend placing the store in maintenance mode when doing this service. Work with our support team to schedule a good time to place the store in maintenance mode and we can convert the database. Contact Miva Support if you have questions or concerns about the service.

Thank you,

Wayne

Wayne Smith

Comment

Thank You Wayne Smith! We'll give that a try!
                  - - - -
                  Thank You Too, Gordon! also...
                  In the Merchant Admin, at the Home screen, you will see this:

Information
                  Miva Merchant 9.0002
                  MivaScript Engine v5.22
                  Database API: mysql <----- this is what you need

Looks like yours is mivasql. I would get support to convert you as soon as you can. MySQL is generally far faster, much more reliable, and has fault-tolerance built in whereas mivasql (dBase) is not robust and has poor fault-tolerance.
                  Gordon Currie
                  Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit Any Document Easily | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
                  phosphormedia.com

Comment

Re: What are these over-sized .dbf and .mvx files and how do we &quot;shrink&quot; them?

Originally posted by wsmith View Post
                    markhomesurplus,

You can now run routine maintenance without the application timing out. You did have basket files that needed attention and I would suggest running routine maintenance on a weekly basis.

I would also suggest converting the database from MivaSQL to MySQL. Miva Support can convert the database; however we recommend placing the store in maintenance mode when doing this service. Work with our support team to schedule a good time to place the store in maintenance mode and we can convert the database. Contact Miva Support if you have questions or concerns about the service.

Thank you,

Wayne

Sorry for long delay in responding with a massive THANK YOU! :)
                    We can now use the
                    "Data Management>Database Tools>Delete Shopping Baskets>Delete"
                    and the follow-up "Pack Data" successfully!
                    We have support ticket open that began with this disk space issue, but has
                    evolved into our need to upgrade to MySQL. We've put a hold on that change
                    until we've looked into our commercial and custom modules and determined
                    whether they would break our site if we made the switch.
                    I'm pretty positive we'll be going with MySQL, it just won't be immediately.
                    Anyway . . Thanks Again for the File repair/replacement ! :)

Comment

Re: What are these over-sized .dbf and .mvx files and how do we &quot;shrink&quot; them?

* Doing a Face Palm *
                      There it was, prominantly displayed on the Miva9 control page. >_<
                      ...I miss a lot by not facing the monitor when "reading". ;P
                      Thank You! :)

Comment

Working...
                      X