Clear Browser Cache

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clear Browser Cache

The guy who takes calls from customers often puts in orders for them. He has a problem because since the browser caches his entries and sometimes he inadvertently submits with previously cached data. He doesn't want to turn off caching for other sites as he finds it convenient -its just on our domain that he has the issue.

The browsers don't appear to allow you to set different cache for different sites, and I haven't found a plugin to handle this.

What I was wondering is if there is header cache code I can put on the site, wrapped in a conditional for our IP, that would result in his not getting cached data in his form fields - and that wouldn't break the checkout process for any hidden data that needs to be passing through the checkout process. I might only need it on OCST.

Hopefully that is clear.

Interesting, they would need to take into consideration if their ISP provides them with static or dynamic IP address. If they provide them with a dynamic IP address, the conditional code would render it useless once the ISP changes the address without the customers knowledge.

There use to be a great Firefox extension that would notify users with a pop-up with and acknowledgement button if their IP address had change from the previous address. I had to stop using it when extension no longer supported newer versions of Firefox. Maybe a similar solution may exist for your browser or another developer.
    Last edited by William Davis; 07-20-18, 09:09 AM.
    Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

It is a static IP.

Comment

Looks like this would be difficult from what I read, so perhaps I can find a way for the user to clear his own cache on the page and then I will wrap that in the IP. Will try that now.

Comment

Maybe not ideal, but certainly easy, just wrap this in a IP block:

Code:
          <button id="clearForm">Clear Form</button>
          and then this on the page:

Code:
          <script>
          $( document ).ready(function() {
             $('#clearForm').click(function(){   
              $(':input','#js-ocst-form')
                .not(':button, :submit, :reset, :hidden')
                .val('')
                .removeAttr('checked')
                .removeAttr('selected');
              });
          });
          </script>
          Just change the IDs accordingly (selector button and the id of the form you want to clear).
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Thanks Bruce, that will do it. Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by habreu View Post
              It is a static IP.
              Oops sorry, I meant dynamic. But static is great news, therefore ISP changing IP address in not an issue in this case.
              Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Another thing you can do is if you use Chrome browser you can set it to not use any cached resources when the inspector window is open. I'm not sure where the setting is but it's not difficult to find. It's been quite useful for me especially when dealing with this kind of stuff and with cached redirects.
                M.A.D.* since 1997

http://www.scotsscripts.com

*miva application developers

Comment

Thanks. I saw that. I think it would be okay for me, but based on past experience with my coworkers I think a big red button will save me some brain cells. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
                    Maybe not ideal, but certainly easy, just wrap this in a IP block:

Code:
                    <button id="clearForm">Clear Form</button>
                    and then this on the page:

Code:
                    <script>
                    $( document ).ready(function() {
                    $('#clearForm').click(function(){
                    $(':input','#js-ocst-form')
                    .not(':button, :submit, :reset, :hidden')
                    .val('')
                    .removeAttr('checked')
                    .removeAttr('selected');
                    });
                    });
                    </script>
                    Just change the IDs accordingly (selector button and the id of the form you want to clear).
                    Can I ask a follow-up Bruce? I tried this code and it acts like the submit button - meaning when I click on it pages over to the address validation page which is next in the checkout process rather than refreshing the page elements.

Comment

You know what? Skip it. There is a lot going on in that page and without mucking through all that I don't think I can find the answer. Not worth the effort but thanks. I tried a quick test on my on computer using Tor and since I grab a new identity every time I launch the site with that nothing is retained. I'm downloading Brave to test as well since it has a rep for being faster and lighter and if the same rules apply that'll work too - just looking for the fastest path through the woods. Thanks again Bruce. You've answered lots of my dumb questions the past couple years. :)

Comment

You could also simply try to use another browser JUST for taking phone orders? I.e. I always clear cache in IE, because i NEVER use it for some strange reason ;)
                        Sabine Sharp
                        eCommerce Strategies & Solutions
                        Glendale Designs
                        Support Desk

Comment

Yes, that what I am setting up for him. A lot of times the data seems to be saved (maybe the session or the maps.google on that page?) until you actually close the browser and reopen. I actually downloaded and tested the Brave browser and that has an option to open a new session tab and that does seem to work at flushing the form fields.

Comment

Working...
                          X