Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does changing a product code in the admin break any relationships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does changing a product code in the admin break any relationships?

We have a bunch of products to change codes (to match codes between Quickbooks and store we initially named using different naming conventions). I know importing will obviously create a bunch of new products but if I do it in the Miva backend are all relationships - availability groups, price groups and so on maintained? I can test a few but there may be some association I forget and I don't want to inadvertently 'break' a bunch of products.

All Miva features should continue to work when you change product codes. Internally everything is referenced by an id, so changing the code won't impact other relationship. Rarely we see issues with 3rd party modules which have referenced product codes such as product reviews.

But in general it should be safe to change product codes.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Perfect thanks.

Comment

I'm part way through the list now and just noticed that changing the code does break the images - so if I go to the product with the changed code under the Images tab the previous images have all been removed and need to be added back.

EDIT: okay got the images and some didn't. Have no idea why.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by habreu; 10-09-20, 12:38 PM.

Comment

I don't know if I've seen that before and it not happening on my store. Are you using a 3rd party module for images?
          Brennan Heyde
          VP Product
          Miva, Inc.
          [email protected]
          https://www.miva.com

Comment

As far as I know this is just the Levels theme under the hood. I don't remember anything being done to the image code. I'll keep adding them and watch which ones don't get an image to see if there is a pattern.

Comment

I have not seen the error again yet. I am changing fewer codes at a time via the catalog page - so I change 4 and hit update. Before I was doing a page full and updating. I'm not 100% sure but possible it might be related to caching? I mention this because I have had occasional odd things like this that either eventually resolve (don't work and then 20 minutes later they do), or I go in and run the scheduled tasks or log out and back in and problem solved.

Also when I look at token list for the products in the back end the variables it shows are the old values for product code and such. For example product CP-AERO-812 was changed maybe 20 minutes ago to TUP-812-AER-SG but when I go to PROD and run Token List it still shows the value for the old product code. Not sure if this is a separate database or file.

Not sure if it is related or if it is me but mentioned in case it is helpful.

Capture2.JPG

Comment

If you use Marketplaces, we had issues with products becoming "unrelated" to their Marketplace listing after changing product codes.
                Psydde Delicious
                Delicious Boutique & Corseterie
                Philadelphia, PA
                www.DeliciousBoutique.com
                www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

Do your product URI's contains product codes?

If you change product codes, you must remember to update your product URI in order for it to match.

I don't recommend changing or recycling product codes, unless you are forced to. If that is the case, you have to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the URI process to make sure it done properly, especially if you want to create a 301 redirect to new URI, then test it thoroughly. Both old and new URI's.
                  Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Originally posted by William Davis View Post
                    Do your product URI's contains product codes?

If you change product codes, you must remember to update your product URI in order for it to match.

I don't recommend changing or recycling product codes, unless you are forced to. If that is the case, you have to thoroughly familiarize yourself with the URI process to make sure it done properly, especially if you want to create a 301 redirect to new URI, then test it thoroughly. Both old and new URI's.
                    They don't as far as I can see but something to be aware of - thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X