Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TaxJar Plans & Miva Settings: Nexus Data to Limit API Calls & Configured Nexus Region

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TaxJar Plans & Miva Settings: Nexus Data to Limit API Calls & Configured Nexus Region

We have physical nexus in two states.

If TaxJar settings are checked for "Use Nexus Data to Limit API Calls" and TaxJar is configured to "Calculate Using TaxJar Configured Nexus Regions" where the Miva Nexus Regions only include the two states in which we have Nexus, will TaxJar only bill us based on the number of transactions from those two states?

We have a lot of transactions from states where we do not have physical or economic nexus, and I don't want to be forced into paying for a TaxJar plan based on the number of transactions in states where we do not have a nexus.
    Last edited by delcorsets; 01-22-21, 12:52 PM.
    Psydde Delicious
    Delicious Boutique & Corseterie
    Philadelphia, PA
    www.DeliciousBoutique.com
    www.DeliciousCorsets.com

There are three Nexus Settings for TaxJar:
    1. Ignore Miva Merchant Configured Nexus Regions: With this setting Miva will ignore Nexus Regions listed in the Miva Merchant TaxJar Nexus tab and the TaxJar control panel. This setting will make a a tax API call during every checkout and transaction.
    2. Calculate Using TaxJar Configured Nexus Regions: With this setting Miva will make a tax API call for only the Nexus Regions located in the Miva Merchant TaxJar Nexus tab batch list that are also in the TaxJar control panel.
    3. Calculate Using Miva Merchant Configured Nexus Regions: With this setting Miva will make a tax API call for Nexus Regions from the Miva Merchant Tax Jar Nexus tab allowing the use of multiple international Nexus Regions. Important: This option must be selected if you wish to support multiple international locations. These locations are sent to TaxJar using the "nexus_addresses" parameter.

The second two will limit the tax API calls only for the two states you have nexus in.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

For me, at least, the module is not functioning that way.

I have selected Calculate Using TaxJar Configured Nexus Regions. I only have NY listed in the TaxJar Nexus batch list in Miva, and that's my only nexus state in TaxJar. But the module still passes every single transaction (domestic, international and marketplace) through TaxJar and each transaction counts against my limit, regardless of whether it is a nexus state or not.
      Todd Gibson
      Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family

Comment

oliverands Thanks for sharing your experience. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'm guessing you're on the most recent version?

We have Nexus in PA (Origin Based state where we've always filed manually,) and soon we'll have Nexus in FL (a Destination Based state with a LOT of counties) which is the main reason we decided to go with TaxJar. We don't owe a lot of sales tax in either state, but it was the simplicity of auto-filing in FL where we saw a lot of value.

If we end up with all Miva transactions counting toward our plan limit, we'll be paying significantly more for the monthly plan that what we actually owe in taxes. I would rather find another solution if that's the case.

Brennan - It sounds like oliverands has their module setup in the way you described. Can you confirm that there is supposed to be a combination of settings for the module/TJdashboard to limit the transaction sent to TaxJar so that plan limit is based only on the Miva transactions within assigned Nexus states? Unfortunately I bit the bullet yesterday after your initial response and prepaid for an annual plan (which will end up being the wrong plan if all transactions end up counting against the plan limit.)
        Last edited by delcorsets; 12-31-20, 06:09 AM.
        Psydde Delicious
        Philadelphia, PA
        www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

That's what I found first with Avalara and now with TaxJar--using one of these services costs me more than my tax liability each year. It's a racket, but given that each county in NY has its own tax rate it's something I need to do.

I just checked and I'm using an older version (1.0008) of TaxJar. I'll need to update. But release notes on the last two releases, which I haven't installed yet, don't say they address this specific issue.

I was surprised that every transaction is counted in TaxJar because that was not the way Avalara worked. With Avalara, only nexus state transactions were sent. I moved to TaxJar because they offered a much higher number of transactions for a lower price. But it wasn't clear to me that ALL transactions would be counted against my monthly total.
          Todd Gibson

Comment

I was surprised that every transaction is counted in TaxJar because that was not the way Avalara worked. With Avalara, only nexus state transactions were sent. I moved to TaxJar because they offered a much higher number of transactions for a lower price. But it wasn't clear to me that ALL transactions would be counted against my monthly total.
            Brennan Is this a bug in the TaxJar module?

I'm still in the TaxJar trial period for a short time, so I don't know that there's a way to test how much we will be billed until the trial runs out and we start being charged.

Based on your initial response, it seems like the intended behavior was that TaxJar should only bill us based on the number of transactions from the Nexus states if our setup was done as you described?

With Avalara, only nexus state transactions were sent.
            oliverands Out of curiosity, in light of TaxJar counting ALL transactions against monthly total, were you seeing better pricing with Avalara since they only counted Nexus state transactions toward your plan total?

I'm also curious if Netblazen AccurateTax might be an option.. does anyone have experience with that module/service?

Thanks
            Psydde Delicious
            Philadelphia, PA
            www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

Did Florida pass legislation to tax remote sellers?
              http://www.alphabetsigns.com/

Comment

In my case, I am still better off with TaxJar. Their entry level plan has a very high number of monthly transactions, and I have only exceeded that once in the last year. When that happens, they charge a monthly overage fee which is not horrible. I'm still happier with them than with Avalara. Avalara is moving in the direction of serving only enterprise-level clients, and each year I was with them they made it more and more difficult and expensive for me to work with them because I'm not doing thousands of sales tax transactions per month.
                Todd Gibson

Comment

alphabet I didn't hear that FL passed legislation to tax remote sellers yet, but we are going to have a physical nexus not an economic nexus, so we'll have tax liability there either way.

oliverands Thanks for that feedback. I was pretty sold on TaxJar until I found out that they count every transaction, not just Nexus transactions, against the plan.. That unfiltered transaction count makes it a lot more expensive for us - it will push us above the entry level plan.

Florida is the real challenge simply because of it's destination based sales tax model and it's 300-some counties. I'm curious how Florida based sellers calculated their sales tax even before Wayfair since zip-based tax calculation supposedly will not always work.. however it may get us really close.

The other challenge of a zip-based tax calculation is that some products which are taxable in FL are not taxable in PA. As far as I can tell, it's not possible in the zip-based tax modules to have a product be taxable in some zips, but not in others.. or, is that feature possible in some way?
                  Psydde Delicious
                  Philadelphia, PA
                  www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

The other challenge of a zip-based tax calculation is that some products which are taxable in FL are not taxable in PA. As far as I can tell, it's not possible in the zip-based tax modules to have a product be taxable in some zips, but not in others.. or, is that feature possible in some way?
                    This is one area where TaxJar excels. You can assign a tax category to each item in the store, and TaxJar will determine if it is taxable or not in region where the customer lives--taxable for some people but not for others. Avalara was not able to do this for me, but I make use of it in TaxJar.
                    Todd Gibson

Comment

Curious that no one mentions having nexus in Kansas. Kansas has no threshold. Every sale in Kansas must be charged sales tax. Kansas is why we had to go with TaxJar.
                      Larry
                      Luce Kanun Web Design
                      www.facebook.com/wajake41
                      www.plus.google.com/116415026668025242914/posts?hl=en

Comment

I'm a little late to this one, but we started using TaxJar over a year ago, and we had a problem with sending all sales for tax calculation at first. I set it to Calculate Using TaxJar Configured Nexus Regions, and we are no longer being charged for API calls from locations outside our nexus states.

Comment

TFo Thanks so much for this reply. I wonder if it was a module update or just the settings change that corrected the problem?

oliverands It may be worth looking into to see if you can correct the issue on your site too. it could potentially save you lots of money. In light of TFo's experience I now feel much better about looking into Tax Jar further..
                          Psydde Delicious
                          Philadelphia, PA
                          www.DeliciousCorsets.com

Comment

It's actually over two years now with TaxJar, and I can't remember if it was an issue with our original version. We're currently on 1.0008 and haven't had any issues. I see they're on 1.0010 now, so I'll be upgrading shortly since it has a fix related to MM10.

Comment

TFo that's the setting I am using as well, but it is still sending all my transactions.

I do see that I have the checkbox selected next to "Automatically Create TaxJar Transactions" which may be the issue. Do you have this option selected or not?
                              Todd Gibson

Comment

Working...
                              X