webP images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

webP images

So I know you used to be able to allow different image file types. Can you still do that and I am missing where to do it at?

I want webP image, but I get an "...unsupported or invalid image type" when I try to upload it, and "invalid image extension " when I try to add it by inserting the image file path.

Jamie
    Jamie Donaldson
    JSDVS Web Design / Development
    Web Design | Web Development | E-commerce Design & Integration

Not currently if using Merchant's native image management and/or Image Machine. In years past, supported image types were simply allowed or denied based on file extension, but for security reasons more recent versions of Merchant actually interact with the uploaded files to validate that they are indeed images and not a malicious file type masquerading as an image. WebP support is on the feature request list but I do not believe we have a target version for inclusion yet. In the mean time, I believe certain Cloudflare plans support on the fly webP conversion and caching, so that could be a workaround while also providing the numerous other benefits of Cloudflare in front of an ecommerce site. Our support staff are also able to help with the Cloudflare configuration on any site that chooses to use it.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks David. The site does use Cloudflare, so that could be our option for now...at least until the feature comes out.
      Jamie Donaldson

Comment

I'd definitely recommend keeping them regardless, as the WAF can be invaluable in combating certain types of attacks and/or interfering with bots coming from several very common source locations / countries, and it's far easier to put mitigation in place if Cloudflare is already in place.

If on the Pro plan, the minimum we recommend, this is what the setting looks like:

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 11.56.24 AM.png

and if on the Business plan, you get some additional options for on the fly WebP conversion and resizing to match the visitor's browser, all cached on their side. You get 100,000 resized image conversions per month, so typically sufficient for any site, but $10 per 100k additional if necessary:

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 11.59.52 AM.png
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]
        http://www.miva.com

Comment

Thanks for the info. Sending the site owner to support for this.
          Jamie Donaldson

Comment

Working...
          X