Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Searchable Content Section in Product Description

Hi Everyone,
    I have a fun brain puzzle I am trying to figure out that I hope someone can help me with.

We have a bunch of pinball machine parts on our website that are generic parts that go on multiple machines. We would like to have a list of compatible machines in the description of each of these products. So I created a custom field for our products that is a checkbox for "Include X game list". When this is checked, I wrote some template code in the product page that shows the specific content section which lists out the compatible games. This works great, because I can modify the content section in one place and it changes for all applicable products. The big issue here is that this content section on each of the products is not searchable.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could get this content section searchable?

The stuff I have thought of already would be to make the system update a custom field with the content section data and then I can select this in the searchable fields, but I don't have a clue how to do this or if it is even possible. I then thought of a work around that if the categories for the product were searched, this would not be a problem because all of the game categories have these parts in them.

I am honestly stuck here. I may have to go back to hard coding this game list into the description.

Thank you so much!
    --Scott

If you have them listed in a custom field you should be able to just add that by assigning the custom field to searchable fields
    From the admin home page select "User Interface" then "Global Settings" and you should see a tab for searchable fields.
    Mark Hood
    Vermont Gear

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hood View Post
      If you have them listed in a custom field you should be able to just add that by assigning the custom field to searchable fields
      From the admin home page select "User Interface" then "Global Settings" and you should see a tab for searchable fields.
      Hey Mark,
      Thank you for getting back to me on this. Unfortunately, I cannot easily list all the games in a custom field as it would still make many products with a hardcoded list of supported games. This would def work, but is no different than my typing in the supported games in the description of each product.

If I could figure out a way for the search to return all products if the search term matches the category these products are in, that may work. I do have all these products in supported game categories.

Thank you,
      --Scott

Comment

If I could figure out a way for the search to return all products if the search term matches the category these products are in, that may work. I do have all these products in supported game categories.
        Depending category structure, this is something that could be done programicatly. Running a script, to walk down the catagories, collect the category names (if they contain the info you needed) and then using that data to either populate a custom field or insert them as HTML comments into the product description. I'd vote for custom fields as it would let you also use that data for faceted data displays.

Its not necessarily complicated write such as script...probably more time consuming is intaking and understand what exact data you need extracted from the cat. I'd ask a developer for a bit of their time to do this.
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
        X