Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Tax by county or ZIP in Miva 10

Hi,

For a very long time we've been charging exact tax for purchases because 95% of our clients are government institutions, or other places that are exempt. Recently things have changed and now we are getting more and more orders from companies that will be charged tax. Miva 9 didn't have a way to account for county taxes and how they are all different (at least in NYS) but we are moving to Miva 10 (hopefully very soon) and I was wondering what the best way is to get the exact tax per county? Does Miva 10 do this be default? Or do we need a module like Avalara, or AccurateTax?

Any incite or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Jim

You'll need a third-party module or service. Avalara is great, but you might want to shop around and take a look at TaxJar as well. Just depends on how many transactions you expect, where you have nexus etc. Ultimately the best solution really depends on your needs. You can set up either service to file returns for you (which is a godsend).

-Ryan

Comment

I have nexus in New York state, so I know well the issue you are facing. I have used both Avalara and TaxJar. Both now have Miva-developed modules that make the integration as easy as can be. In my experience, Avalara is more interested in larger clients and have taken their pricing up to make their service less attractive for smaller retailers. I'm now with TaxJar and have had no issues. I recommend that you estimate your monthly transaction volume (both total number of transactions and taxable transactions), and contact both for a quote. They price based on volumes differently (one on all transactions the store processes regardless of nexus location and the other on just tax-eligible orders), so know that going in and determine your cost accurately.
      Todd Gibson
      Oliver + S | Sewing Patterns for Kids and the Whole Family

Comment

Originally posted by RTHOMASDESIGN View Post
        You'll need a third-party module or service. Avalara is great, but you might want to shop around and take a look at TaxJar as well. Just depends on how many transactions you expect, where you have nexus etc... -Ryan
        Originally posted by oliverands View Post
        I have nexus in New York state, so I know well the issue you are facing. I have used both Avalara and TaxJar. Both now have Miva-developed modules that make the integration as easy as can be. In my experience...
        Thanks so much for both of your responses, this really helps!

Comment

Working...
        X