Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Technical Documents and PDFs on Product Pages

Team,

I'm trying to accomplish something on our Product Pages that allows customers to grab a PDF of our Technical Specifications and more detail about our products.

I'd love to build separate tabs on the product pages where customers can choose between technical specs, related products and general information but I don't have the budget to engage with a Web Developer at this time.

So to create a temporary solution, I would like to link a PDF for the Technical Document.

I created a custom field with a PDF Upload as the Type but I'm unsure as to how to get that on to the product page. I should note, that I am not a web developer by trade so my knowledge of how to accomplish this is limited at best.

I would appreciate whatever feedback anyone can offer as well as suggestions on how I can structure this in the PROD Template so that I can apply the custom field to my products.

Thank you,

Ian Iams

The most immediate step you can take is to put the PDF file under the HTTPDocs folder, probably in a subfolder so they are in one place, and place a direct link to the file in your product description somewhere. This will get the content available to your customer.

Then, you can look into use the built-in digital downloads feature. Here's the documentation: https://docs.miva.com/miva10/referen...ital-downloads

Scott
    Need to offer Shipping Insurance?
    Interactive Design Solutions https://www.myids.net
    MivaMerchant Business Partner | Certified MivaMerchant Web Developer
    Competitive Rates, Custom Modules and Integrations, Store Integration
    AutoBaskets|Advanced Waitlist Integration|Ask about Shipping Insurance Integration
    My T-shirt Collection is mostly MivaCon T-shirts!!

Comment

Scott,

Thank you for the information.

I'll link to the document out of HTTPDocs for now until I can read through and understand Digital Downloads.

Thank you for the help,

Ian

Comment

If you just want the links to show up on the product page, I think you want to use a custom product field type of "Text Area" and then select Product Tabs from the Group selection. This will add a tab to the description area and that will contain whatever you put in the custom field. So, you'd just add something like

<p> Here's our spec sheet.</p>
        <p><a href="link-goes-here.pdf">My Amazing Product (PDF File)</a></p>
        Bruce Golub
        Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

Bruce,

Thank you for commenting.

I start to go through this process but don't have Product Tabs in the Group Selection.

If I create a new Custom Field Group would this allow me to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Ian

Comment

Oh sorry, assumed you had Shadows which has that built in. Ok, so all you need to do then is create said custom field and place the following where you want the content and links to show up.

<mvt:item name="customfields" param="Read_Product_ID(l.settings:products:id, 'custom_field_code_goes_here', l.settings:products:custom:pdf)" />
            &mvt:product:custom:pdf;

Note, technically, you don't have to use the Read_Product_ID() function. I just do it to create an easier to parse display value (&mvt:product:custom:pdf;) The built in value would be

&mvt:product:customfield_values:customfields:custo m_field_code;
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
            X