Just Stop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Stop.

I know i'm venting and in a bad mood, but i've always felt like this.

If you are thinking of adding a popup (for ANYTHING) on your site: STOP. Really think hard and long on this. I've been at work for two hours have have counted 22 popups i've had to dismiss so far. They all just annoy me. If i'm interested in your product/site i will find a way to connect. Getting in my way does not help. And it keeps getting worse. Almost every web-based app i use is doing something like this too...look, if i want to learn a new feature, i'll go find it. Make it easy for me to find it. Job done. (

Sorry, but just had to get that out there.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Standing Ovation for your post!
    Jamie Donaldson
    JSDVS Web Design / Development
    Web Design | Web Development | E-commerce Design & Integration

Comment

08ba655ce598859f54956f113d09aa7b.gif
      Was "supposed" to be a funny clapping dude meme...

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
        I know i'm venting and in a bad mood, but i've always felt like this.

If you are thinking of adding a popup (for ANYTHING) on your site: STOP. Really think hard and long on this. I've been at work for two hours have have counted 22 popups i've had to dismiss so far. They all just annoy me. If i'm interested in your product/site i will find a way to connect. Getting in my way does not help. And it keeps getting worse. Almost every web-based app i use is doing something like this too...look, if i want to learn a new feature, i'll go find it. Make it easy for me to find it. Job done. (

Sorry, but just had to get that out there.
        It's downright disruptive!
        Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Really annoying are the full screen popups on a mobile device and I can't find the close button.
          http://www.alphabetsigns.com/

Comment

One of my favs are popups that occur two seconds after page load and ask "How do you like Us! Give us your email! "...dude...not very much.
            Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

Yup, they are annoying... until you realize that as a store owner they can be a huge revenue driver. Most customer don't subscribe through the footer & most users don't make it to the cart -- it's just an easy way to help ensure reengagement. I have clients that get 20-50k subscribers annually through those popups, and that leads to serious revenue. I DO understand your frustration though. I think the way that you go about implementing popups/subscribe forms makes a huge difference. An immediate popup or a 2s delay is in no one's interest. Make sure the user is engaging & as at least able to soak in the site before flashing crap at their face.
              Last edited by RTHOMASDESIGN; 11-17-23, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RTHOMASDESIGN View Post
                An immediate popup or a 2s delay is in no one's interest. Make sure they user is engaging & as at least able to soak in the site before flashing crap at their face.
                Another thunderous round of applause.
                Jamie Donaldson
                JSDVS Web Design / Development
                Web Design | Web Development | E-commerce Design & Integration

Comment

Originally posted by RTHOMASDESIGN View Post
                  Yup, they are annoying... until you realize that as a store owner they can be a huge revenue driver. Most customer don't subscribe through the footer & most users don't make it to the cart -- it's just an easy way to help ensure reengagement. I have clients that get 20-50k subscribers annually through those popups, and that leads to serious revenue. I DO understand your frustration though. I think the way that you go about implementing popups/subscribe forms makes a huge difference. An immediate popup or a 2s delay is in no one's interest. Make sure the user is engaging & as at least able to soak in the site before flashing crap at their face.
                  Yes, we have seen more effective engagement when the popup (small enough not to obliterate the screen) appears, say on the third page. its the popups that appear seconds after loading a page that are most egregious.

Also, i rarely see an effort to link these too actual revenue AND compared it to people who get pissed off and leave. (Though yea, that one is hard to track.)
                  Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
                  X