Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

truXoft modules not working today (March 25, 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

truXoft modules not working today (March 25, 2010)

We started getting reports that many of the truXoft modules are not working today, and in some cases prevent customers from completing online orders. It appears Ivo (the developer) may have made some changes on his web site, without possibly realizing it's affecting his modules or module license checks. His web site is currently coming up with a server error message.

If you are using truXoft modules, test your store to make sure your customers can check out properly. If you can't check out - general recommendation is to temporarily disable truXoft module(s) that are preventing the order to complete. Contact the developer so he knows this is more widespread than just a few stores reporting an isolated issue.

Re: truXoft modules not working today (March 25, 2010)

strange.. all his modules?

We haven't had any reports yet and I checked two stores running Truxoft modules and those two seemed fine.

--
    Thank you,
    Gary Hodder
    Support
    --
    CybrHost Corp. - http://www.cybrhost.com/ - [email protected]
    +1-866-300-MIVA - Professional Miva & E-Commerce web hosting services.
    Premiere Hosting Partner Since 1999

Comment

I don't know if it affect ALL his modules (and don't think it does, hence I wrote "many" and not "all") but his web site is definitely not working, and if you use any of his modules during checkout, those seem to be hanging - possibly making connection to the licensing server. Modules that only work in MM admin for reporting purposes are most likely working fine, though I have not run extensive testing. These issues were reported to us over the past 40 minutes or so, so this is just an early warning to all to run tests in their own stores.

Comment

As far as I know, Ivo's modules don't call home and contact the server only when upgrading. Very strange! I'll try to contact him and let you know.

BTW I just checked one store - www.miraclesoap.com. They use a lot of his modules. Everything is working fine ... orders are rolling in.
        Last edited by PCINET - Andreas; 03-25-10, 09:03 AM.
        Andreas Toman
        PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
        We built over 200 Miva Merchant stores!
        Miva shopping cart design & integration service and see our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
        web: www.pcinet.com
        LinkedIn: Andreas Toman
        phone: (786) 250-2056 (Miami, FL)

Comment

Originally posted by PCINET - Andreas View Post
          As far as I know, Ivo's modules don't call home and contact the server only when upgrading. Very strange! I'll try to contact him and let you know.
          I already sent a note to Ivo. I have his official email and private address which I think he's checking more often. It's still daytime in France - hopefully he checks his email shortly.

Comment

Just talked to him and sent him a link to this thread. He confirmed that his modules don't call home so even if the server is down the modules will work fine.

FYI he didn't get your e-mail yet (truxa at truxoft dot com).
            Andreas Toman
            PCINET, LLC

Comment

Well, he should have also received a CC at [email protected]. I didn't get a bounceback so I assume that is still a valid address.

Comment

Well, looks like Ivo just fixed his web site...

Comment

This issue raises several concerns. Though we did not experiencing any problems, whats to prevent it from happening in the future with Ivo, or another developer's module (e.g.: Win's the Lotto, Retires, Career Change, Failed Business, Disabled, Dies...)?

Are there any precautions store owners can take to eliminate and/or limit their exposures to such perils that could cripple and/or close a business?
                  Last edited by William Davis; 03-26-10, 12:31 PM.
                  Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Unfortunately not; any module that calls home regularly and ceases to work correctly when it cannot call home leaves you with no option other than to uninstall it when it has that type of issue and affects your business.

I think Miva's way of doing it is the best option that still protects the software developer's interests; Merchant 5.5 calls home at regular intervals but will keep working for quite a while during periods of time when it cannot call home and only no longer lets you into the admin area after a bunch of failures or if their license server tells it that the license is not valid. The customer side of the store never stops working though, only the admin side, so your sales are not interrupted, only your ability to change things in the store or look at orders, etc.
                    David Hubbard
                    CIO
                    Miva
                    [email protected]
                    http://www.miva.com

Comment

I think most of the modules only phone home when you are doing updates to a new version. Obviously if the developer is not around, there won't be any updates so it won't be an issue. If Miva changes the API and the module will no longer run, then you would need to uninstall it. But that usually only effects a handful of modules, so uninstalls would be few and far between. That said, I think most developers took a lesson when our good friend Luray passed away and they have contingency plans. I know I do.
                      Bill Weiland - Emporium Plus http://www.emporiumplus.com/store.mvc
                      Online Documentation http://www.emporiumplus.com/tk3/v3/doc.htm
                      Question http://www.emporiumplus.com/mivamodu...vc?Screen=SPTS
                      Facebook http://www.facebook.com/EmporiumPlus
                      Twitter http://twitter.com/emporiumplus

Comment

David is right but just to clarify, TruXoft's modules don't call home and the issue on Remik's servers was probably caused by something on top and not that Ivo's server was down.
                        Last edited by PCINET - Andreas; 03-26-10, 12:40 PM.
                        Andreas Toman
                        PCINET, LLC

Comment

Originally posted by PCINET - Andreas View Post
                          ...to clarify, TruXoft's modules don't call home and the issue on Remik's servers was probably caused by something on top and not that Ivo's server was down.
                          It's not "Remik's servers" having an issue, it was specifically the truXoft XML Fulfillment module causing problems if used during checkout. I don't know what sort of connections it makes when it runs, but disabling the module fixed the issue and you could check out without problems at that point. I didn't review clients' code extensively enough to determine why or where the module connects where it does, but obviously it was having an issue when Ivo's site went down and was displaying errors.

Comment

Originally posted by ILoveHostasaurus View Post
                            Unfortunately not; any module that calls home regularly and ceases to work correctly when it cannot call home leaves you with no option other than to uninstall it when it has that type of issue and affects your business.

I think Miva's way of doing it is the best option that still protects the software developer's interests; Merchant 5.5 calls home at regular intervals but will keep working for quite a while during periods of time when it cannot call home and only no longer lets you into the admin area after a bunch of failures or if their license server tells it that the license is not valid. The customer side of the store never stops working though, only the admin side, so your sales are not interrupted, only your ability to change things in the store or look at orders, etc.
                            Interesting. I am not a developer, but from my perspective, I believe its in everybody's best interest for third party modules to make occasional license and update checks for obvious reasons.

But it seems to me that these module "calls" could, and should be coded so if the recipient of said call is unable to answer for whatever the reason, that the module should not crash or be disabled in any fashion -unless of I am missing something.
                            Thank you, Bill Davis

Comment

Working...
                            X