EOL of Miva 4.x

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOL of Miva 4.x

What is the projcted end of life date for Miva 4.x? When should we plan on having to move to the 5.x version due to lack of any support?

Re: EOL of Miva 4.x

We're discussing this internally and will make a formal announcement as soon as we come to a conclusion.

However at this point it's a very real possibility that you'll be forced to make choices you'd rather not make around PCI Compliance and PA-DSS Compliance issues brought upon by your merchant account provider before we formally EOL 4.x.

In my humble opinion any merchant with a site they don't want essentially forced to use something like PayPal or PayFlow Link should plan on being off of 4.x ASAP and certainly by the end of this year.
    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
    CEO
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Can you elaborate on these PCI Compliance and PA-DSS Compliance issues? and how miva 5.x addresses these?

Thanks!

Comment

Hmmm, this topic is kind of like elaborating on Taxes and the rules you need to follow for paying them. Most people's opinion differ and enforcement is inconsistent.

Here's what I'm comfortable saying:

1. We have a mandate by the PCI Security Council to be PA-DSS Compliant no later than July 1st, 2010. (We expect to have our ROV [Report On Validation] this week and we'll be posting it ASAP to prove compliance).

2. The only version of Miva Merchant that will ever be PA-DSS Compliant is Miva Merchant 5.5 Production Release 7 (fully patched) and later.

3. You only need to worry about this if you either store the credit card number (Credit Card with Simple Validation) or use an on-site real time payment gateway, like Authorize.net. If you only use PayPal Website Payments Standard or PayFlow Link, where the card is never actually entered or passes through your actual server, then this should not impact you.

4. Here's a video from our conference this year on what a Merchant needs to do to achieve PCI Compliance, it's presented be a certified QSA of the PCI Security Council and they are also our auditor for achieving PA-DSS. http://vimeo.com/11912880

5. It's our official position that 4.x can not achieve either PA-DSS Compliance or PCI-DSS Compliance without a wholesale re-write on our end of both the session management and database architecture. This would essentially force virtually every third party module to update their modules to support this, including OpenUI and therefore negates any potential benefit for undertaking this path. The only reason for us to certify 4.x if we believed it possible would be to make it easier for people to avoid a painful upgrade. Ultimately we believed a PA-DSS certified and PCI-DSS capable version of 4.x would be just as difficult if not more so to upgrade to than just supporting customers in upgrading to 5.5 PR7.
        Thanks,

Rick Wilson
        CEO
        Miva, Inc.
        [email protected]

Comment

Let me add some other points to ponder about staying with 4.x beyound the year.

1) Every dollor you put into the existing site becomes an investment, that eventually will be worthless.

2) A lot of 3rd party vendors for 4 are no longer supporting that version, or are not even around. When you consider that OpenUI, the main 3rd party intermediary system is in that later later group...then that gets really scary.

3) In our experiance, the cost of maintaining a Merchant 4 site is several times that of a Merchant 5 site.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

OK, you guys convinced me :-)

I'm going to post in the "work for hire" section about (finally) upgrading to 5.5

Wish me luck!
            rob
            www.personalizedboutique.com

Comment

Hi Rick,

Do we have an updated ETA on the newer version of the update module for 4 to export items if people are using OpenUI vs. MMUI for version 4. We know hosts like us can help customer's still yank out the non look and feel and export customers, products, categories from 4 to 5 but if we could get the headers/footers from openUI to be imported into 5 would be a big big help for 4 users.

Thanks
              Eric
              Eric

Hosting 4 Less
              Miva Merchant Premier Hosting Partner
              www.Hosting4Less.com
              Sales/Support Line: 888.818.0444
              Twitter: http://twitter.com/hosting4less

Check Out Our Other Website 4 SSL Certificates:
              http://www.Certs4Less.com

Comment

Eric,

I can tell you Preston is working on it right now, and we're planning on putting the Order History 4.x Exporter into beta this week.

I don't have a specific date since we're not highly proficient in OpenUI, but I would expect it to enter a "Beta" phase in the next week or two.
                Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                CEO
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]

Comment

If we are using 4.x and Payflow Pro are we okay regarding PCI compliance?

Comment

If we are using 4.x and Payflow Pro are we okay regarding PCI compliance?
                    NO, not at all. Only PayFlow Link or PayPal, where the credit card portion takes the customer away from your servers and over to the servers of a PCI Compliant Provider.
                    Thanks,

Rick Wilson
                    CEO
                    Miva, Inc.
                    [email protected]

Comment

Okay, got it. Thanks.

Comment

Want to upgrade from Miva 4.23 to 5.5 , would like to hire someone to do the upgrade. Please let me know if you have any experience upgrading Miva 4.23 to Miva 5.5 release 7. I cannot risk any damage to my database, or I would do it myself.

Gallactica
                        www.hillsviewgardens.com

Comment

Gallactica,

We handle this for our hosting customers. Your web host should be able to handle this for you. Is your store running MMUI or OpenUI?

Thanks
                          Eric

Hosting 4 Less
                          Miva Merchant Premier Hosting Partner
                          www.Hosting4Less.com
                          Sales/Support Line: 888.818.0444
                          Twitter: http://twitter.com/hosting4less

Check Out Our Other Website 4 SSL Certificates:
                          http://www.Certs4Less.com

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                            Gallactica,

We handle this for our hosting customers. Your web host should be able to handle this for you. Is your store running MMUI or OpenUI?

Thanks
                            We are running Open UI. Westhost will no longer offer Miva. They will not handle the upgrade for us. Most disconcerting! Miva is offering us a free upgrade with our current license # because Miva 4.X will not be PCI-DSS compliant. Need too upgrade and if there is a Miva Host that would upgrade us and migrate for free that would be a great! I would like to stay with Westhost we are one of their oldest customers but not feeling too welcome lately!
                            Galactica
                            www.hillsviewgardens.com

Comment

Hi,

I'm wondering about payment processing with 5.5. Can you please answer a question for me. From what I've read any real-time processing modules will not work (from 4.x) and they will have to be replaced.

I'm running ECHO-inc, now owned by Quicken, as my payment processor. The module I have to process payments works great, but last I tried contacting the company that wrote it, it was impossible... So, that leads me to my question.

Does MM 5.5 provide built-in payment processing support for providers, and is ECHO-Inc included in that list? Otherwise, from what I see, I would have to find someone that can code the payment processing module for me in 5.5?

HOSTING4Less
                              Can you tell me how much of the transition is handled? For example, I'm running custom Viking Coder templates throughout the store, I also run Emporium Plus's Order Manager, so all previous orders for the last 7 years or so are stored in that... how does all of this data get moved over, and how successful is it?

Regarding modules - do I have to pay to upgrade every module I am currently using?

Thank you,
                              -Brett
                              Last edited by BrettBGS; 07-20-10, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X