Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miva Merchant & Gmail Apps Email

Greetings all

I am having a problem. I have my Miva 4.22 shopping cart setup on my dedicated server. I recently had a tech change our mail servers to use Gmail Apps so we could eliminate and filter all spam and junk mail. My question is this, what would be the settings that I would use for the mail server under Domain Settings?!

Re: Miva Merchant & Gmail Apps Email

Same as before - you do not want to (or need to) change outgoing email. This is only SENDING email notifications out from the store, not collecting incoming email.

Well, that, and the fact that Miva Merchant does not support sending email from a 3rd party server anyway, so changing this option to Gmail will not work regardless of what you type in there. You can only use a 3rd party server if you configure it to blindly relay email, perhaps, but that's a whole different can of worms you do not want to open.

Comment

Originally posted by jfwhite3 View Post
      Greetings all

I am having a problem. I have my Miva 4.22 shopping cart setup on my dedicated server. I recently had a tech change our mail servers to use Gmail Apps so we could eliminate and filter all spam and junk mail. My question is this, what would be the settings that I would use for the mail server under Domain Settings?!
      The issue you're seeing is probably that the notifications are no longer making it to you after the change. To fix this, you need to disable email for your domain on the server where your site is hosted; if it still thinks it handles mail for your domain, when your store sends an outgoing email to you, the server sees it first and will deliver it locally instead of sending it on to Google. Once mail is disabled, the server will 'know' it doesn't handle mail for your domain and will deliver to Google like any other server on the internet.
      David Hubbard
      CIO
      Miva
      [email protected]
      http://www.miva.com

Comment

I appreciate both replies. But aren't the both of you saying totally different things? dotcomhost says that it doesn't support 3rd party server, and
        ILoveHostasaurus is saying that it does but to simply disable mail on the dedicated server? Help me out.. I'm really confused now!! But I do appreciate your help.

Comment

Two different things. If you use gmail for handling your email, you want to disable email handling on the Miva server itself - so that when Miva sends our email notifications (which it still can if you disable INCOMING email on the server) it will send those notices to your gmail account, instead of to local mailboxes which you are no longer checking (since you are now checking just gmail mailboxes).

You just cannot get Miva to send out email notifications using your gmail account, that's all. The "sending" part has to be on the same physical server as your store.
          Last edited by d_host; 10-27-10, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Ok. I think I understand what you're saying now. But really I just want my customers to receive an email of their order. Since I have moved all of the domains to be hosted by gmail, I could just buy another domain and add it to the server just to email the customer a receipt. I wouldn't need it for anything else, only for sending mail.

Comment

You do not need to do anything at all - Miva can still send OUTGOING email confirmations for all orders, even if you disable email on the server (Plesk, cPanel, Qmail, whatever the server may be using). That will only disable incoming email and SMTP outgoing email - which means your mailboxes will not work. Miva does not use SMTP for sending email out, so it doesn't matter if email is disabled - it will still work. Leave the mail server name as is - you do not need to change a single thing in the Miva store.

Comment

Working...
              X