Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help!!! How to bulk upload keywords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help!!! How to bulk upload keywords?

Hello - I have 4.24 but am upgrading to 5 soon. I am working on entering keywords for 1,000+ products on an excel sheet to upload to 4.24 (in the meantime work on Version 5 is being completed).

I have 3 columns on my spreadsheet with no headings, prod code, prod name and keywords (all other info price, description etc has been on the site for years except for keywords). How do I upload this sheet so that it only adds the keywords to all the products??

I tried uploading but I don't see a Meta tag or Keyword category in 4.24. Pls. help!!!

Re: Need Help!!! How to bulk upload keywords?

Version 4 didn't have per-product meta tags so if you have that, it would be via a third party module and whether you can import it will depend on whether that module supports importing them. If you're using the OpenUI module to do the keywords, I think using the OpenUI Product Import instead of the regular Product Import will let you specify those fields for import but not positive.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Thank you for your quick response. Where would I find the Open UI module to do keywords?? (I've been using a spreadsheet)????? Thanks in advance

Comment

The OpenUI product import should be in the store in nearly the same place as the standard product import; under the Utilities -> Import menu. The one you'll want to look for is "OpenUI™ Product Import" as opposed to the "Import Products From Flat File" you were probably using.
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]

Comment

thanks again - I did try uploading from the OpenUI Product Import and it didn't work -but i thought you mentioned an "OpenUI module to do the keywords" ???

Please confirm if:
          1. Can I just use a spread sheet and save it as a csv file????
          2.and then go to the dropdown menue and select Met Tag Keywords??
          3. and should I have a Meta Tags Keywords Header on my excel sheet

Are these the correct steps?? Thanks again - I am desperate.

. I saved my excel sheet as a csv file

Comment

The import expects the file to be delimited text; that can be tab, comma or any other character as long as it's not a character that appears in your meta tag info. Ideally, just make the file have three fields; product code, meta keywords, meta description. Since key words have commas in them, comma would be a bad idea as the delimiter, use tab instead for example. So your file will look like this:

PRODUCT_CODE<TAB>Keyword1,keyword2,keyword3<TAB>de scription

When you go to OpenUI™ Product Import, load the file, pick the delimiter, click next. On the next page, choose "Update Existing Products", remove "Create New Products" from being checked, set the fields to Product Code, Meta Keywords and Meta Description. Then Import.
            David Hubbard
            CIO
            Miva
            [email protected]

Comment

YES !!!!!!! It worked!!! Thank you David for all your help and patience!!

Comment

Are these the correct steps?? Thanks again - I am desperate.
                You should not be desperate when it comes to meta keywords.

they are ignored by google, yahoo, and bing. You could write anything in there and it wouldn't make a difference. None of the big three search engines pays any attention to them whatsoever.

There are some SMALL search engines that might use them as a part of their ranking algorithms but the traffic you would get from those search engines is negligible.

Hope this helps.
                Mark Romero
                ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Oh no - so have I been inserting them in the wrong place????? Where else do I add keywords to my products?? Thanks in advance and thanks for your other post on the quotation marks - will try that.

Comment

Oh no - so have I been inserting them in the wrong place?????
                    In OUI, there should be a meta-tag keyword field in the upload section (OpenUI Product Upload under Utilities -> Import)

I was just meaning that you should pay attention to the phrase, "Don't Sweat The small Stuff," and in terms of SEO, keywords are very small stuff indeed.

Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by Siamese-Dream.Com; 12-01-10, 10:54 AM.
                    Mark Romero
                    ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Got it - totally different from what i've heard all along especially from my web person and books i've read and yes, I have been inserting them in the meta-tag keyword field so at least i know i'm inserting them in the right place for what it's worth.

So if keywords are not as important, then how does one's business come up in search engines??? Pls. advise.

Comment

Got it - totally different from what i've heard all along especially from my web person and books i've read...
                        Keywords were important from about 1997 to about the year 2000. It didn't take long for search engines to realize that people were spamming keyword meta tags.

So if keywords are not as important, then how does one's business come up in search engines??? Pls. advise.
                        Great Content that is unique and in demand!!!

There are no short cuts left.

You can check out some of the SEO sites like seomoz.org and the google webmaster forumss. also, go to you tube and look for the googlewebmasterhelp channel / google webmaster central channel. You will see lots of videos by Matt Cutts.

Search for these Videos:

How can I get my business to become known online?

And:

How can a website compete using only white hat techniques?
                        Don't just hire someone to do SEO for you unless they have proven examples of where they boosted rankings and have a boatload of testimonials from happy clients. Otherwise, you would be better off just playing the lottery.
                        Mark Romero
                        ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you thank you!!!! I'll check out the videos.

Comment

You are welcome!

I'm not a designer / SEO person, so I am not trying to sell you any services. So in the future if you ever are thinking about hiring someone and you aren't sure whether what they are trying to sell you is going to be worth it, you can always send me a private message and I will be happy to give you my honest opinion for free.
                            Mark Romero
                            ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                            X