Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! OpenOUI packing bug - ouiextra.dbt file at 2GB - cannot modify store!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! OpenOUI packing bug - ouiextra.dbt file at 2GB - cannot modify store!

Help, appears that there is problem that the store OpenOUI forgets to pack ouiextra.dbf file which is a memo file and contains headers footers and product information. My file has grown the 1K less than 2GB which at 2GB it completely shut my store/website off! They are working to get this into the OpenOUI - but in the meantime I cannot Add any products to my store until we can either get the fix to openuoi, and then pack the 2GB file, which I'm sure has several years of to be deleted records and updates.

Can anyone help - I'm mainly looking for a way to get up and running by 'packing' this ouiextra.dbt file as my store is effectively unchangeable.

I am willing to pay!

Thanks,
    rick

Re: HELP! OpenOUI packing bug - ouiextra.dbt file at 2GB - cannot modify store!

Which is 2 Gigs? ouiextra.dbf or ouiextra.dbt?

I don't know if its OpenUI or not but Empressa will not read or write to any dbf that is 2 Gigs. The memo field file should be the .dbt.

It was my understand that the .dbt continuously gets written to and information is never removed from it.

You may need to try something drastic, like backing up your OpenUI settings, changing the Look and Feel to MMUI, then changing back to OpenUI and importing the OpenUI settings. Make sure you have a complete backup of the site before you do anything as well as copies of all your OpenUI and 3rd party module license #s.

--
    Thank you,
    Gary Hodder
    Support
    --
    CybrHost Corp. - http://www.cybrhost.com/ - [email protected]
    +1-866-300-MIVA - Professional Miva & E-Commerce web hosting services.
    Premiere Hosting Partner Since 1999

Comment

Yes, sorry, it's the .dbt MEMO file - which contains all headers/footers/and product descriptions - so the OpenOUI people are looking into it, but this is a huge issue - I can't believe that this is not a ticking time bomb for every store ... as I said anyone that help me get some room in my OUIEXTRA.DBT file I'm more than willing to pay whatever ...

Thru the course of several years on my store, I use headers and footers heavily as well as do alot of product description, updates, etc.

thanks,
      rick

Comment

Originally posted by CybrHost View Post
        It was my understand that the .dbt continuously gets written to and information is never removed from it.
        You're correct. I brought the issue to Darren's attention at the beginning of last week, he looked at the code and discovered that the OpenUI never packs that database so the dbt file accumulates data every time a header, footer or description is changed which is never removed. He said he'd get it fixed and release an OpenUI update.

Originally posted by rick View Post
        I can't believe that this is not a ticking time bomb for every store ...
        It is, but most stores do not have the frequency of product changes your store has and will never see the issue, so this has never occurred before as far as anyone can tell; we have not seen it occur in all our years of Miva Merchant hosting and Darren commented that no one had ever brought this to his attention before either.
        David Hubbard
        CIO
        Miva
        [email protected]
        http://www.miva.com

Comment

I checked some of the oldest OpenUI 4 stores I could think of and only found one with 100+ Meg dbt.

You must either have alot of products and/or make alot of updates frequently.

--
          Thank you,
          Gary Hodder
          Support
          --

Comment

Dear All,

Isn't the 2 Gigs limitation function of a size issue of the file on some OS's and not and issue with Open UI itself (other than the mentioned bug)?

I thought some OS's can only handle a file the size of 2 Gigs...then again I may have mis-remembered something.
            Thank You,

Nerd Boy

http://www.nerdboyinc.com

1-855-Nerd-Boy

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Boy Inc View Post
              Dear All,

Isn't the 2 Gigs limitation function of a size issue of the file on some OS's and not and issue with Open UI itself (other than the mentioned bug)?

I thought some OS's can only handle a file the size of 2 Gigs...then again I may have mis-remembered something.
              It is an empresa limitation. The 2gb file limitation on some operating systems is normally based on the underlying file system, so that hasn't affected linux or windows 2k+ in quite some time.
              David Hubbard
              CIO
              Miva
              [email protected]

Comment

Yes, we do alot of updates, changes, additions, deletions, have over 8000 items in the store, etc.

Again, this is not a dig on anyone, but I am anxious to get my store back so I can continue adding items as I have a backlog of items (=$) to put on the store.

I use Hostasaurus, etc and they have been a lifesaver many times and have always been able to quickly resolve any Miva issues I've had.

Also, I'm thinking about Miva 5, but I have probably 100 add-on modules so not sure how easy it would be to migrate but seems like Miva 4 may be more of an issue over time in terms of support, etc.

rick

Comment

This has nothing to do with the thread and its my own personal opinion but no store should ever need 100 3rd party modules. I don't think any store should ever have a need for more then 30 modules if the store is properly designed.

--
                  Thank you,
                  Gary Hodder
                  Support
                  --

Comment

A big THANK YOU to Andrea Toman from PCINET, LLC who was recommended from Hostasaurus, who has fixed the problem with my store, and did it just this afternoon after contacting him. Gave me his cell phone and asked me to contact him, described the problem, and indicated that he was aware of this problem, and how to fix it, and dumped the store, reset the file, and reloaded the store in a very short time (I didn't even know the store was down as I was out to dinner)! Got a message indicating it's up and there we go!

Thanks again, and thanks for inputs on this forum - stress level is lowered for the rest of the weekend ...

rick

Comment

Make that Andreas Toman ([email protected])

Comment

You're correct. I brought the issue to Darren's attention at the beginning of last week, he looked at the code and discovered that the OpenUI never packs that database so the dbt file accumulates data every time a header, footer or description is changed which is never removed. He said he'd get it fixed and release an OpenUI update.

Any word on when this update may be released?

Just so I understand correctly what are the steps that are necessary to essentially reset this file in lieu of an OpenUI update?
                        Last edited by capnhud; 09-21-08, 01:01 AM.

Comment

I have asked Darren for updates a few times but have not heard back unfortunately. There is no correction for this issue currently because none of the database file editors out there can remove the records from the dbt file properly. My understanding is that Andreas at http://www.pcinet-llc.com corrected this for Rick's store by downloading all of the product info into StoreMan from http://www.phosphormedia.com and then publishing the products back up, recreating that big file in the process, without all the already deleted data.
                          David Hubbard
                          CIO
                          Miva
                          [email protected]

Comment

Dear All,

I just got a note from Darren stating the following when I asked him about a fix / update for this issue:

"Just haven't had a change to get an update out. The fix is a simple <MvPACK> on the OUIExtra database. I do plan to release an update, but it will probably be the first week of October."
                            Thank You,

Nerd Boy

http://www.nerdboyinc.com

1-855-Nerd-Boy

Comment

Well since I do not currently have Storeman and an update is not do out until Ocotober I guess the best bet is to wait until. Thanks for the update on the update.

Comment

Working...
                              X