How to assign a sub-category to multiple parent categories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to assign a sub-category to multiple parent categories

First off I would like to say I like the new bboard. I hope more people start using!

Anyway ... I'm looking to a assign sub categories to multiple parent categories. Is there anyway to do this via modules or simple configuration changes? Thanks

Best,
    Andrew

The simplest way is to do this through the MIVA Merchant admin interface, by hand, but this can get quite time consuming if you have a lot of categories. You could do a flat file import and specify multiple parent categories I think (haven't tried in a very long time), or, check Storeman - which has the option to import products into multiple subcategories as well.

Comment

Thanks, Remik. And, if you need a quick link to StoreMan:
      http://www.phosphormedia.com/go.mv?ID=MFS

Bruce Golub
      Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
      phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by dotCOM_host
        The simplest way is to do this through the MIVA Merchant admin interface, by hand, but this can get quite time consuming if you have a lot of categories. You could do a flat file import and specify multiple parent categories I think (haven't tried in a very long time), or, check Storeman - which has the option to import products into multiple subcategories as well.
        i tried doing it by importing recently (seperating multiple categories by commas), and it didn't seem to work for me. just thought i'd throw that in. it'd be nice if it did, though.

Comment

You can't do that.

A subcategory can be assigned to only one parent and not multiple.
          Andreas Toman
          PCINET, LLC

Miva Merchant Design, Development, Integration & Support
          We built over 200 Miva Merchant stores!
          Miva shopping cart design & integration service and see our Portfolio!

e-mail: [email protected]
          web: www.pcinet.com
          LinkedIn: Andreas Toman
          phone: (786) 250-2056 (Miami, FL)

Comment

I thought that was the case. Oh well thanks for all of the replys.

Best,
            Andrew

Comment

How to assign a sub-cat to multiple parent cats

I don't believe this is possible. I would re-create the category with a slightly different category code (books_a, books_b, etc), leaving the actual display name the same. It will appear to the client that it is the same category. You will need to be sure that you assign the same products to each of the "mirror" categories. This is one possible work-around.
              Moose AB Web Site Development
              Lindsborg, KS
              :D

Comment

I use Marc's method, however make sure you at least change the header or something on the page - duplicate pages can negatively affect your rankings with some search engines.
                www.onestopcandle.com
                www.chocomolds.com

Comment

Working...
                X