Disabling Price Comparison APPS?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • musicforkids
    Mini Mivite

    • Mar 2008
    • 93

    #1

    Disabling Price Comparison APPS?

    I downloaded to my browser a price comparison app called Pricepeep. Now whenever I go to a shopping site it picks up what items I'm looking for and pulls up a bar which gives me options to buy elsewhere at a better price.
    This is bad for my retail website. I have a hard enough time competing with Amazon, etc.
    There must be a way to disable these apps when people come to your site. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

    Thanks,
    Gary
    AFS Ltd is an independently owned manufacturing company. Providing high quality fabrication, offshore services and labour supply, on a global basis to the Oil and Gas, Renewable Energy sectors and Maritime Industries.
  • Kent Multer
    Mega Mivite









    • Mar 2006
    • 3255

    #2
    Re: Disabling Price Comparison APPS?

    Interesting problem ... I took a quick look at Pricepeep's site, but it doesn't have a lot of details. Offhand, I can think of two approaches.

    It might be possible to put some JavaScript on your store pages that would detect and disable the Pricepeep pop-up. If the pop-up is contained in a div, maybe you can use JS to delete it, or at least make it invisible. However, browser extensions are powerful. If the pop-up is a separate window or dialog box, it may not be possible for JS in the page to access it.

    The other possibility is to figure out what's triggering the pop-up, and then modify your pages to prevent that. E.g. if it's looking for dollar signs in the HTML code, maybe you can replace them with an HTML entity, or even a little GIF image.

    That's about all I've got off the top of my head ... hope it helps --
    Kent Multer
    Magic Metal Productions
    http://TheMagicM.com
    * Web developer/designer
    * E-commerce and Miva
    * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

    Comment

    Working...
    X