Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need easier way to maintain attribute template (drop-down list)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need easier way to maintain attribute template (drop-down list)

My client has a drop-down list for one of his products that already has more than 150 selections in it. I'm finishing a project for him which will require my adding 180 more selections to this attribute and modifying 30 existing options.

From what I know right now I would have to call up the template and go through a process of "add option", two cut 'n pastes, and one "update", all of this 180 times. I'm hoping there's a way I can find the file for this template, download it, make the changes to it using a friendly PC-based program (e.g. Wordpad, Excel, Access ....) which will be so much easier and quicker, and finally uploading it to replace the original file.

A second part to this possible nightmare I'm facing is that I'm doing all this on their development system. Absent a technique or utility to import this attribute template into the production system, I'll have to do all this a second time.

Can anyone provide relief?

With fingers crossed .... Sam (Gerber)

Re: Need easier way to maintain attribute template (drop-down list)

Sounds like you could use an 'Attribute Template', which is not an SMT template but rather a single attribute record that can be assigned to multiple products.

That being said...what customer is going to want to scroll through a drop down of 150+ items? Not many would be my guess. What are these items? Perhaps there needs to be a better arrangement of data.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
      Sounds like you could use an 'Attribute Template', which is not an SMT template but rather a single attribute record that can be assigned to multiple products.

That being said...what customer is going to want to scroll through a drop down of 150+ items? Not many would be my guess. What are these items? Perhaps there needs to be a better arrangement of data.
      Bruce, what's 'SMT' mean?

I don't know where MIVA developers advertise their utilities. Do you know if one exists that will do exactly what I want?

Re the lengthy drop-down list, that's not my cup of tea either, but I inherited that from my client and he's not receptive to change. This company engraves its products and offers a graphic in addition to words. They have 150+ graphics to choose from and shortly they will have 180 more.

??? Sam

Comment

Yup. Gotta love those clients who ask for professional help and then say no, they don't want to do that.

SMT" Store Morph Templates. These are the various Page templates and sub templates in Merchant where you can do things like use conditionals <mvt:if expr="">, and call in other items and templates <mvt:item name="foo" param="bar">

What we usually do in this case, is build a jquery light-box/slideshow type of applet. One that can support categorization so the customer can select things like Birds, Fish, Cats, etc. and then see a smaller list. The applet just outputs a code corresponding to the selected image and that code is used as the value of a text attribute for the product. You could use a custom field to indentify which products would need to show the applet, or do it based on a code pattern. Bit of work to setup, but easy enough to maintain.

But we've never tried to make this into an off the self module...too many variables.

Most developers run their own sites (where prices are generally better), but there is a conglomerate of developers at mivacentral.com. Miva has to down play this because, even though its one of their major strengths (numerous add-ons to extend the platform) the industry incorrectly claims you NEED hundreds of dollars in add ons to use Merchant. (You need none. However, many of these add ons ADD ON Profit.<g>)
        Bruce Golub

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
        phosphormedia.com

Comment

I guess I'll spend a little time looking around for an add-on that does the export/import.

If I were doing this for myself I would do it a different way. This particular client counts every penny he spends and always thinks he's paying too much. No JQUERY/Lightbox solution for him.

Thanks ... Sam

Comment

Originally posted by smgerber View Post
            If I were doing this for myself I would do it a different way. This particular client counts every penny he spends and always thinks he's paying too much. No JQUERY/Lightbox solution for him.
            Thanks ... Sam
            I hear ya...some folks just don't get that business, regardless of what it is, is fundamentally an investment. While you can make money by investing $10.00...you can't make much.
            Bruce Golub

phosphormedia.com

Comment

I have a module that imports and exports attribute templates; it's a "semi-custom" product that's in use by several stores. You can drop me a line by email to discuss getting one for this store.
              Kent Multer
              Magic Metal Productions
              http://TheMagicM.com
              * Web developer/designer
              * E-commerce and Miva
              * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
              http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

There are a couple ways to do what you need:

You can use this module that allows you to export the attributes and options to a text file where it can be edited, saved and re-imported. The file format is not the easiest to use, but it gets the job done. We have had a hard time sometimes getting this to open and save correctly in excel because the attribute row has more fields that the options rows. I would suggest export the attributes, then make your changes in a text editor and re-import.

http://www.mivacentral.com/Merchant2...=WCW-ATTRIMPT5

The other option doesn't require a module. Miva has a built in export that allows you to export your attributes to an XML file. This export is located under utilities, export data, Export Attributes to XML.

It will export a file that contains all attributes and options in Miva's XML provisioning format. You can then delete all the attributes you don't need to change and add in your new attribute options.

Here is a sample of what that code looks like:

Code:
                <ProductAttribute_Add product_code="test">
                	<Code>size</Code>
                	<Type>select</Type>
                	<Prompt><![CDATA[Size]]></Prompt>
                	<Image></Image>
                	<Price>0</Price>
                	<Cost>0</Cost>
                	<Weight>0</Weight>
                	<Required>Yes</Required>
                	<Inventory>No</Inventory>
                </ProductAttribute_Add>
                <ProductAttributeOption_Add product_code="test" attribute_code="size">
                	<Code>small</Code>
                	<Prompt><![CDATA[Small]]></Prompt>
                	<Image></Image>
                	<Price>0</Price>
                	<Cost>0</Cost>
                	<Weight>0</Weight>
                	<DefaultOption>Yes</DefaultOption>
                </ProductAttributeOption_Add>
                <ProductAttributeOption_Add product_code="test" attribute_code="size">
                	<Code>medium</Code>
                	<Prompt><![CDATA[Medium]]></Prompt>
                	<Image></Image>
                	<Price>0</Price>
                	<Cost>0</Cost>
                	<Weight>0</Weight>
                </ProductAttributeOption_Add>
                The first XML tag will try to add the attribute itself. Since this already exists you can remove it. Each one after that adds an attribute option.

This same XML format can be used to transfer your attribute from the dev store to the live store.
                Brennan Heyde
                VP Product
                Miva, Inc.
                [email protected]
                https://www.miva.com

Comment

For comparison purposes, I'll mention that my module uses a CSV file format that's very easy to edit with a spreadsheet. Here's a short sample, from a store that sells mattresses and bedding:
                  Code:
                  Data	Code	Prompt	Display order	Type	Default	Required	Price	Cost	Weight	Image
                  T	GreenSleepSogno	Green Sleep Sogno
                  A	Mattress	1. Choose your mattress:	133	select		1	0.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	HalfQueenMattress	Half Queen (30 x 80) Mattress - $1	976.00	1538				1976.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	TwinMattress	Twin/Single Mattress - $1	718.00	1539				1718.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	TwinXLMattress	Twin XL Mattress - $1	718.00	1540				1718.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	DoubleMattress	Double/Full Mattress - $2	298.00	1541				2298.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	QueenMattress	Queen Mattress - $2	298.00	1542				2298.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	KingMattress	King Mattress - $2	898.00	1543				2898.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	CalKingMattress	California King Mattress - $2	898.00	1544				2898.00	0.00	0.00	
                  A	Foundation	2. Choose your boxspring/foundation:	134	select		1	0.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	HQS50	S-50 - $424.00	1545				424.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	HQS200	S-200 - $758.00	1546				758.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	HQS300	S-300 - $919.00	1547				919.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	TS50	S-50 - $500.00	1548				500.00	0.00	0.00	
                  O	TS200	S-200 - $918.00	1549				918.00	0.00	0.00
                  (I've substituted tabs for all the quotes and commas, to make this easier to read. The columns aren't lined up right, but you get the idea.)

The first column contains T, A, or O to specify a Template, Attribute, or Option. As far as I know, the module works correctly with any spreadsheet. If it doesn't work for you, I'll fix it.
                  Last edited by Kent Multer; 05-06-13, 08:57 AM.
                  Kent Multer
                  Magic Metal Productions
                  * Web developer/designer
                  * E-commerce and Miva

Comment

Originally posted by Brennan View Post
                    There are a couple ways to do what you need ..........

The other option doesn't require a module. Miva has a built in export that allows you to export your attributes to an XML file. This export is located under utilities, export data, Export Attributes to XML.

It will export a file that contains all attributes and options in Miva's XML provisioning format. You can then delete all the attributes you don't need to change and add in your new attribute options.
                    Brennan, thanks for your response. I had seen those utilities but didn't think they applied to my need until I read your posting. I just exported my client's complete attribute file to review.

First off, a couple quick concerns:

1. It appeared to me that the MIVA product code was included in each attribute handled by the utility. That confuses me very much since I don't recall 'attribute templates' being associated with specific products. I am aware that I can use the admin functions and define attributes on a product by product basis, or I can simply create a template alone and then, later, associate that template with any given product. Can you possibly clear this confusion?

2. I looked at the utility functions and saw that 'Export' specifically supports export of attributes to XML. However, 'Import' doesn't support that but instead supports Import "Data" from XML. Why are these described differently. That is, if I simply exported 'attributes' and then used that same file to import 'data', what will happen?

Beyond these two questions, is there any solid documentation that explains the Import and Export utility functions in a crystal clear fashion. The last thing I would want to do is export all attributes from the development system, remove the attributes that aren't of interest leaving only a single attribute template, and then importing this file into the production system and inadvertently deleting all the other attributes and attribute templates.

My most important use for Miva's utility would be when we've done a very, very large update to a particular drop-down attribute template on the development system and then need to import that lone template to the production system. Can you please give me a warm fuzzy that this will work perfectly for me, or are there caveats involved?

Thanks very much Brennan for what you've explained so far .... Sam

Comment

Brennan, I exported the 'attributes to XML' and it's not at all what I was asking for.

For one thing, it spits out information for all products and then only outputs the attributes that are specific to that product. Here's the "BUT ...". It only puts out a single record when there's an 'attribute template" used by the product. It doesn't show any of the options that are in that template.

What I needed was NOT attribute records for EACH product, but attribute templates defined in Miva's Admin under "attribute templates".

So, starting over again Brennan, how does a customer export/import attribute templates?

Thanks ... Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Kent Multer View Post
                        For comparison purposes, I'll mention that my module uses a CSV file format that's very easy to edit with a spreadsheet. Here's a short sample, from a store that sells mattresses and bedding ....
                        Kent, that was very kind of you to take the time to show us an example of your work. It seems I'm about to be told by Brennan of MIVA that they don't export attribute templates, only product listings which show the attributes or templates assigned to the products, but not the templates themselves.

Your approach seems to pretty clearly (by example) be devoted to the attribute templates and their contents.

Can you please explain what's involved in installing your product? Then as to the use of the product how does the user export and then re-import the updated file. Is there any documentation you might be able to email me?

Thanks very much for your assistance and interest ... Sam

Comment

This module installs and runs about like most off-the-shelf modules. It's not complex enough to require any documentation beyond a few paragraphs of instructions in an email. For custom and semi-custom projects, I usually do the installation myself, although this one is quite simple. Being an admin utility, it doesn't require editing any page templates or store settings.

It has a single admin page for both the Import and Export functions; each has its own text box for the file name, and a button to trigger the operation. The Export side includes a dropdown menu that lets you select a single attribute template to export, instead of all of them. On the Import side, the file can contain one template, or as many as you want; no extra settings are needed for that.
                          Kent Multer
                          Magic Metal Productions
                          * Web developer/designer
                          * E-commerce and Miva

Comment

Hey Sam -

The export attributes from XML does not export the attribute templates itself, only the attribute template assignments.

There currently is no built Attribute Template Export. However a simple export can be created using Miva's page templates and template language if you really needed one.

It looks like all you need is the XML format to add a new attribute option to an Attribute Template.

Here is the code:

Code:
                            <AttributeTemplateAttributeOption_Add template_code="Template-Size" attribute_code="size">
                            	<Code>small</Code>
                            	<Prompt><![CDATA[Small]]></Prompt>
                            	<Image></Image>
                            	<Price>0.00</Price>
                            	<Cost>0.00</Cost>
                            	<Weight>0.00</Weight>
                            	<DefaultOption>Yes</DefaultOption>
                            </AttributeTemplateAttributeOption_Add>
                            You can build text file that has all the new options in this format. The only two things that will change will be the code and prompt.

Once you have this completed file with the new options you can import it via the "Import Data and Settings in XML Provisioning Format"

This is the correct import even though it is named different than the export. This import just allows you to execute any number of XML tags where the Attribute Export just exports Attributes.

Once you get this setup on dev, the same XML file you used on dev will also work on the live site
                            Brennan Heyde
                            VP Product
                            Miva, Inc.
                            [email protected]
                            https://www.miva.com

Comment

Reviving the post from the dead... Kent Multer does your module you speak of that imports attribute templates and their data still work with MM10? Link to purchase it?
                              Colin Puttick
                              Miva Web Developer @ Glendale Designs

Comment

Working...
                              X