Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitemap generation strategy feedback

Hello,

I manage a site that is both a Miva Merchant store and a lot of static html and php pages. In the past we have used the generator from xml-sitemaps.com, but we have to move away from that as our hosting will not increase our max_execution time or memory_limit any further (which seems very understandable to me considering that script was requesting nearly 800mb).

I'm considering the following process:
    1) Using the generator here: http://sitemap-generators.googlecode...generator.html to generate the sitemap for the non-Miva section of my site by indexing .php and .html files
    2) Indexing the store portion of my site using the Moogle module.
    3) Using the above sitemap generator to combine the two (it offers a feature to combine an old xml format sitemap on the server with the new one) or simply listing both sitemaps in my robots.txt.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan, and if not, what would you guys recommend instead?

Re: Sitemap generation strategy feedback

I've never used Google's sitemap utility or combined sitemaps before, but I can't think of a reason this wouldn't work just fine for your situation. I'd be curious about how well that utility maps the store pages using access logs and/or parsing SMAP, compared to Moogle's map generator.
    Kyle Newbrough
    Technical Support / Web Developer
    Miva Merchant

Comment

Re: Sitemap generation strategy feedback

I was also curious about using the access logs. Perhaps I'll try those first instead, and if they're not working well, then I'll try using Moogle too. I'll post my results here.
      Last edited by becker; 01-22-14, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X