Adding SKU for Yotpo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding SKU for Yotpo

Hello, I use Yotpo for reviews on my site. Yotpo needs me to add an SKU number to my products. My question is; will this effect my site in anyway? URL's, Toolkit, amazon payments, etc? I do not have any SKU numbers currently assigned to any of my products. Also, if I do add Sku, can it have letters and numbers.

Thank you!
    Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Re: Adding SKU for Yotpo

Not sure what Yatpo needs when they say "SKU" (maybe uniform product code?) but if so, you can use the Merchant product SKU field to hold that data. The SKU field has no relation to any current base Merchant function, so it should have no effect on anything else.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
      Not sure what Yatpo needs when they say "SKU" (maybe uniform product code?) but if so, you can use the Merchant product SKU field to hold that data. The SKU field has no relation to any current base Merchant function, so it should have no effect on anything else.
      hey Bruce, they are using the SKU CODE (Stock Keeping Unit) instead of the product id to list my reviews. I know how to add it on the Product pages, just wanted to make sure it didn't add anything to my URL, or mess anything up.

Thank you very much for your reply. Vey much appreciated!!!
      Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

We have had a number of interactions with Yotpo Support recently and at some point there was a transition from product:id to product:code, however they are now recommending product:sku. We have noted that there are a number of Miva Merchant stores not using the product:sku field/value and this transition has the repercussions of losing any previously obtained or imported reviews under product:id/code, but it sounds like they are hanging their hat on product:sku. We have not been able to ascertain from their support staff if this change is due to a specific feature or not, but it appears to be associated with recommendations made in this related thread: http://extranet.mivamerchant.com/for...th-Yotpo/page6

The module integration still uses product:id, so there are minor template changes associated with this transition and the existing review import instructions/examples are not valid. This all begs the question of what the mail after automation is using, id, code, sku or all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Glendale Designs View Post
          We have had a number of interactions with Yotpo Support recently and at some point there was a transition from product:id to product:code, however they are now recommending product:sku. We have noted that there are a number of Miva Merchant stores not using the product:sku field/value and this transition has the repercussions of losing any previously obtained or imported reviews under product:id/code, but it sounds like they are hanging their hat on product:sku. We have not been able to ascertain from their support staff if this change is due to a specific feature or not, but it appears to be associated with recommendations made in this related thread: http://extranet.mivamerchant.com/for...th-Yotpo/page6

The module integration still uses product:id, so there are minor template changes associated with this transition and the existing review import instructions/examples are not valid. This all begs the question of what the mail after automation is using, id, code, sku or all.
          Yeah Dan, for some reason they wont tell me why they need to use sku instead of ID. There is a way for them to fix the product reviews on their end once you add SKU. For someone like me it's easy because I just started using YOTPO and only have a few reviews, but for someone with a lot of reviews already, it might not be.
          Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

Actually this makes a lot of sense...if they started out this way...precisely for reasons like this. Tying an external feature to a field (product code) that provides primary functionality internally is generally a bad idea. I.e., you wouldn't be able to change a product code without effecting the reviews tied to it. Also, I would assume that using a true UPC or similar code for the SKU might have lots of advantages down the road, while that would suck as a product-code/url.
            Bruce Golub
            Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
            phosphormedia.com

Comment

That does make sense!
              Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Comment

I agree Bruce, sku has a number of advantages and feature possibilities. Module, docs and import/export instructions just haven't caught up with these changes. These transitions do not come to light without a support interaction and some digging.
                Last edited by Dan - Glendale Designs; 08-25-14, 09:56 AM.

Comment

As, we informed Yotpo Support recently, SKU is a relatively new field that was added a few years ago in Miva after our store was built and we do not use it. It is left empty. You should also know that we recently got the following email from a good (repeat) customer of ours...

I got an e-mail asking me to review my recent purchase. Since I have made three recent purchases, I'm not sure which one I should be reviewing. There was nothing in that e-mail telling me which item was to be reviewed. Please inform!

...seems like the mail after purchase functionality needs a lot of work. I’ve changed the slider to request 100% site reviews and 0% product reviews until they can get this resolved.
                  Bronson Design Studio, LLC
                  Facebook: facebook.com/bronsondesign

Comment

Originally posted by papi34 View Post
                    You should also know that we recently got the following email from a good (repeat) customer of ours...

I got an e-mail asking me to review my recent purchase. Since I have made three recent purchases, I'm not sure which one I should be reviewing. There was nothing in that e-mail telling me which item was to be reviewed. Please inform!
                    Update: Just to set the record straight, the customer confirmed it was actually a site review request. She apparently did not read it too closely initially and thought it was to review a product. False alarm.
                    Bronson Design Studio, LLC
                    Facebook: facebook.com/bronsondesign

Comment

Update: Just to set the record straight, the customer confirmed it was actually a site review request. She apparently did not read it too closely initially and thought it was to review a product. False alarm.
                      Ahh, makes sense.

Overall we like Yotpo and want to see it succeed on the Miva Merchant platform, but the initial rollout has definitely been rocky. Hope they get this all turned around as we all know Miva Merchant needs a solid ratings and reviews solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X