Getting store to "Remember Me"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting store to "Remember Me"

I'm looking for some clarification on how this should be working... I would like the store to remember users and log them in automatically when they come back to the site (after closing browser etc.). Currently, from what I can tell, users are only remembered for as long as the "basket timeout" period. The default, I think, is 60 minutes but I set it to 24 hours as a temporary fix.

That basket session id cookie itself seems to be valid for a year by default, though I'm not sure exactly how that relates to basket timeout. There's also another "customer" session ID, and I'm not sure what the significance of that is.

Any info would on this would be helpful.

Andrew

Re: Getting store to "Remember Me"

Couple of things.

One, it could probably be done with toolkit...but it probably wont be easy (need to set cookie). Also, you need to explicitly ask customers to "remember" them. Some still us public terminals and other shared internet resources.

There used to be a Remember Me module out there. Don't know if there still is.

We've added this feature to our Easy Account module, but that update hasn't been released cause we've been too busy with some site conversions and Merchant 9 updates. Probably by mid September.
    Bruce Golub
    Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
    phosphormedia.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce - PhosphorMedia View Post
      There used to be a Remember Me module out there. Don't know if there still is.
      It was probably NetBlazon's Remember Me module. We still use it today and it still seems to work as advertised. Looks like it is no longer offered on their website, but you should try contacting them.

Here is the "owner's manual" for it...

http://www.netblazon.com/docs/miva/help/NBREMEM5.html
      Last edited by papi34; 08-26-14, 04:22 PM.
      Bronson Design Studio, LLC
      Facebook: facebook.com/bronsondesign

Comment

Thanks. A "remember me" user setting would be ideal.

Question - what about just setting the 'basket timeout' period for some really long time, like a year. Are there any problems with doing that with version 5.5? (aside from not giving users the choice). I searched the forums and from what I can tell, setting a long timeout is ok to do with newer versions.

Andrew
        Last edited by AndrewP; 08-26-14, 06:51 PM.

Comment

No impact for YOU if you are not tracking inventory, but your customers may want the ability to remove all traces of their visit.
          Bruce Golub
          Phosphor Media - "Your Success is our Business"

Improve Your Customer Service | Get MORE Customers | Edit CSS/Javascript/HTML Easily | Make Your Site Faster | Get Indexed by Google | Free Modules | Follow Us on Facebook
          phosphormedia.com

Comment

Working...
          X