Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to exclude certain products for sale to certain ship-to states?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to exclude certain products for sale to certain ship-to states?

Is there a way to exclude certain products for sale to certain ship-to states? Say for instance I wanted to exclude selling a certain brand (whose product codes all have a distinguishable prefix) to Alaska for instance. There must be some old Emporium Plus Module that can do this, right?
    Bronson Design Studio, LLC
    Facebook: facebook.com/bronsondesign

Re: How to exclude certain products for sale to certain ship-to states?

Im not sure if there is a module, nothing is coming to mind. However you can do this in template code. Since you don't know the ship to state until the checkout process the best way is on OSEL (after the customer enters in their ship to info) loop though the basket contents and look for product code which have the prefix.

The if it is found, set a flag and prohibit the customer from continuing if that flag is set.
    Brennan Heyde
    VP Product
    Miva, Inc.
    [email protected]
    https://www.miva.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brennan View Post
      Im not sure if there is a module, nothing is coming to mind. However you can do this in template code. Since you don't know the ship to state until the checkout process the best way is on OSEL (after the customer enters in their ship to info) loop though the basket contents and look for product code which have the prefix.

The if it is found, set a flag and prohibit the customer from continuing if that flag is set.
      Thanks for the info Brennan. I don't think I have the skills to code something like that, but know someone I can turn to (tiny queen) if I decide to go that route. Was hoping Weiland still monitors these boards and could chime in if he had a module to do the trick. I know Miva Merchant acquired the Emporium Plus modules earlier this year. Didn't know if Bill had ridden off into the sunset, as I don't frequent these forums as much as I used to.

Comment

This one should work: http://www.emporiumplus.com/1AA00208.html

We often use the template based method outlined by Brennan, unless the client needs to be able to actively change restrictions.

Comment

Excellent...thanks Dan!

Comment

RESTRICT EXPORT Module works great on the desktop version of our website, but I don't think it can be applied to the mobile version the way it was written. May need to use Brennan's method for that one...

Comment

Just out of curiousity, which mobile integration solution are you using, Miva Merchant or 3rd party?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan - Glendale Designs View Post
                Just out of curiosity, which mobile integration solution are you using, Miva Merchant or 3rd party?
                Using 3rd Party solution. And as it turns out, our business circumstances changed so that we no longer need to be concerned about shipping to certain states. Ended up deactivating the restrict export module on desktop and no need to worry about the mobile side. Good to know it exists should our circumstances change.

Comment

We have this same requirement - we need to restrict certain products from being shipped to certain states. We have several different scenarios: meaning some products can't be shipped to CA and others can't be shipped to TX, AZ, CA. etc. We don't have a common element in the product code we can loop through. What would be the best way to set this up?

Comment

Is it really a good idea to remove states from the menu in these cases? That could be confusing to customers who may not realize that they have a restricted item in the basket, or if they have several items in the basket and they aren't sure which one is restricted. I've written solutions for this for other clients. I would start with a custom product field to store the restricted states for each product, and some template code to display an advisory message right on the PROD page. Then I provide a small module that can check the shipping address against the restrictions for any items in the basket. If a restriction is found, the module bounces the customer back to the BASK page, with a message explaining which products are restricted for which states. Then the customer can quickly remove the restricted item, or possibly click into checkout and try a different shipping address.
                    Kent Multer
                    Magic Metal Productions
                    http://TheMagicM.com
                    * Web developer/designer
                    * E-commerce and Miva
                    * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
                    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

It definitely needs to be user friendly and they should be notified of the restriction. We have a sentence in bold on the product page but of course many times it is overlooked, hence wanting to setup the restrictions. We probably won't be fixing this until 2019 since the holiday season is approaching but we will definitely need further information on the cost. It would need to be implemented into two websites.

Comment

I'll PM you so we can talk about specifics. I like to get an admin login and have a quick look at the store setup before I confirm a price for a project.
                        Kent Multer
                        Magic Metal Productions
                        http://TheMagicM.com
                        * Web developer/designer
                        * E-commerce and Miva
                        * Author, The Official Miva Web Scripting Book -- available on-line:
                        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...icmetalproducA

Comment

Working...
                        X