Subcategories on category screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subcategories on category screen

Is there a module that allows me to view subcategories on the Category tab with, for example, a collapsing tree menu as opposed to just one long list of all categories?

The problem I am afraid I am about to run into is this: I am working on a site that has car parts. As far as I have worked it out so far, the main categories are going to have to be the Car Brands and under that will be make and under that will be model and under that will be year. When it comes time to add a new product and I have to add it to multiple years, I will be scrolling through a list on the category tab that is hundreds of items long. I thought that if I could view these as collapsable, It would be easier to go straight to the various ones I need to add the product to.

Any help/advice/tools would be appreciated.

Re: Subcategories on category screen

you can use toolkit and javascript to create a collapsing tree menu.
    with the help of toolkit you can call categories and subcategories on the main page and can put under diffrent divs and can hide and show on onclick.
    Brian.P
    [email protected]

Comment

Thanks, but maybe I need to be clearer ... I'm not talking about collapsing trees on my site I'm talking about in the admin of Miva. If my store has a lot categories with sub and sub-sub categories, it will take me forever to scroll through the list to add a new product to multiple categories. I'm trying to figure out how to handle this in the ADMIN.

Comment

did you check this module. Category Assignment manager.
        Brian.P
        [email protected]

Comment

This module adds the tab to the product screens. But, as far as I can tell from the screenshots, it only makes it easier to add subcategories and arrange them, but not to use them. The category list on this tab is still one giant list that you have to scroll through to select where you want to add the products to.

Comment

but if you know the category name. then when you are going to add product's field.click on Categories tab and do a search with category name and then assign.
            Brian.P
            [email protected]

Comment

Thank Brian. This works, just seems tedious ... may have to do this 20-30 times for each product ... it's not just one category that I need to add a product to, one shock absorber might work for 30 different makes/models.

Comment

Did you know that you get a "tree" view if you click the plus sign beside the word Categories in the left hand menu in the admin?

Comment

Yes, but from that view I can only add a brand new product to one category... I cannot assign an existing product to multiple categories.

Comment

True. You might find it easiest to do your category assignments via flat file import instead of assigning them manually through the admin. You can still create the product manually if you like, but just do the actual category assignment from an import.

Comment

If you know the 'Category Codes' you wish to insert the product into this isn't a problem. Instead of clicking on 'Look Up' and selecting 1 Category, manual type them in.

Example: TOYS,GAMES,MOVIES

Just make sure to put a , between each category you wish to add the product to and don't put any spaces. Your new product will now be added to all the categories you wish to have it in. If you need to do this multiple times, you could just copy and paste after you have typed it out on the first new product. Hope this helps.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X