Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CVN/CCV Questions

All-

My customer was asking about why he wasn't seeing the CVN/CCV after checkout (the 3-4 digit number on the back of credit card numbers). I still need to confirm what method he is using and referring to, he has Simple Validation and Paypal Standard enabled.

But, unless I am misunderstanding something, if it is the Simple Validation, it shouldn't be capturing this number. This number should never be captured or stored, that is the whole point of the number, right? That it proves you have the actual credit card. And isn't it even a violation of most credit card companies' policies to have their merchants capture it?

He says his current (old) shopping cart does capture it (I want to say it is Shop Factory or something that I'm not familiar with).

Does anyone have any input? I am assuming if he needs that, he will have to use a method that does the actual transaction and not Simple Validation. I would think Paypal could do it and the CVN/CCV would be a preference you could turn on or something like that.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to explain this to him, but wanted to make sure I was accurate.

Thanks in advance

-Bill

Re: CVN/CCV Questions

Yep, you are 100% correct, that number is forbidden from being stored for later use, it's designed to be used during a card-present transaction. Some other carts, and even some Miva developers, don't bother to abide by those rules so there are carts and modules for Merchant that will collect it, but collecting it against the rules is doing a disservice to other merchants since a compromise in the store that's collecting them can lead to others being defrauded when those compromised cvv's are used during future transactions.
    David Hubbard
    CIO
    Miva
    [email protected]
    http://www.miva.com

Comment

Working...
    X